iMac Core 2 Duo vs QuadCore i5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmstiger, Dec 28, 2009.

1. kmstiger macrumors newbie

I have been kicking this around for a week or so and wanted to get some opionions...

Should I buy a...

Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz and upgrade the Memory to 8GB or go with a QuadCore 2.66 GHz with 4GB?

I do some basic work with some video/photo editing, and garageband recording.

Thanks.

2. agr5 macrumors member

I've been debating on the same thing... I think I'm going to go with the i5. Once you add memory to the c2d you are close to the price of the i5 (student discount). Then down the road when memory gets cheaper add some more to the i5... thats my plans anyways.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

4. kmstiger thread starter macrumors newbie

Is Mac Connection a reputable place to buy from? Also how reputable is the mail in rebate?

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

They are Apple Authorized, so no problems.

Bought my last 4 Macs from them, rebates came in about 3 weeks. I dont have an issue with rebates, some people do. Follow the instructions, make copies, you should be golden.

All the 27" iMacs are on backorder due to amazing sales figures. Which is both good and bad I guess... so be prepared to wait... Apple store says "2 weeks".

6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

get the i5. The extra money you spend wil be towards future proofing it. Dual core vs quad core

7. Yvan256 macrumors 601

You can't future proof anything. You can only delay the inevitable. Buying the top model is only valid if you either have cash to burn or your job demands it. Otherwise it's better to keep your cash for your next upgrade.

Do a computer-power-per-dollar graph and you'll see which model is the best purchase.

8. agr5 macrumors member

I was just using the Apple site, I know it is cheaper else where, but wasn't sure how comfortable the OP was with changing it on his own.

Oh, when I was pricing them out I also upgraded to 3.33ghz. Thats where the extra money is coming from.

9. mustangr2 macrumors newbie

i was in the same boat and I picked up my i5 last week. figured worth the extra money to buy. no problems so far

10. kmstiger thread starter macrumors newbie

Just bought the Quad Core i5 for 1794.00 from macmall.com after a $200 rebate.

11. agr5 macrumors member

if you buy from a third party site like that, Apple still honors all warranties, right? Even if you purchase from ebay or amazon?

12. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

13. nuke123 macrumors newbie

14. kmstiger thread starter macrumors newbie

MacMall is now saying the $200 rebate that I bought the iMac with was an 'error'. I'm not really very happy about this. Any advice on why to do?

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Go to macconnection and pay the $1869?

Changing/adding ram to an iMac is so easy a 5 year old could do it. Apple is even nice enough to print the directions on the foot of the iMac for you =).

16. kmstiger thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it from MacMall for $1794, if this rebate works out...

17. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

If they're refusing to pay it, return the computer and get it elsewhere. If it was an error, it was their error and if they aren't going to honor the sale then they don't deserve your business.

18. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

The differences in the benchmarks are quite significant. The i5 Quad Core
    is the clear choice imo.

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

i5 absolutely. A year or two down the road the extra $200 or $300 that you spent now won't make any difference, and you'll still have a very nice quad core machine.

20. didaktikos macrumors newbie

MacMall purchases

I’ve seen similar behavior from MacMall with some clients who have used them. Insist on the rebate; tell them you will contact the AG (or other relevant office) in your state and theirs (Califonia, and an office in Tennessee). Call your credit card company; they can be very effective advocates if you get the right person (keep trying if you don’t). If you decide not to fight and return the iMac demand a UPS return tag--do not pay shipping hoping they will reimburse. Make sure in advance they will not charge a restocking fee (usually 15%) and get it in writing or record the assurances. I have several clients whov‘e had trouble over the years with return shipping charges and restocking fees when the client was not at fault.

21. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

dont get the i5 - get the i7 - 30% power increase for 10% of cost:rolleyes:

22. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Wow these threads are still being posted after about the 100th time!

23. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

Those PC retailers have messed you up. RAM only helps when you need more, when I'm editing in Photoshop and Final Cut I don't use more than 3gb of RAM so adding 4 more doesn't help at all while jumping to the i5 helps tremendously. Haven't you always wondered why PCs are listed with 8gb of RAM and hard drive size instead of by their processor? you can also buy RAM down the line so go with the i5

24. kmstiger thread starter macrumors newbie

MacMall was responsive to my claim. After about 5 mins and a manager, they offered me a store credit to bridge the $100.00 difference. I used it to buy a Nikon D90 the next day. I give them credit for owning up to the issue. I got my iMac on Monday and its amazing.

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you want Late 2007 processor performance or Late 2009?