Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
I am considering buying one of these new 23" iMacs if the rumor happens to be true. But I'm not so willing to be paying for Apple's RAM, while better than it used to be, it's still a tad bit high. How hard is it to add ram to one of these new iMacs? It was a breeze on my PB but if it's really hard on the iMac I'll just bite the bullet and go with the 2gig straight from Apple.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
i think it is reasonably easy on the current iMacs, but no one knows what the insides of the new imac will look like so it's anyones guess how easy it will be. If the trend goes the way it has been, it should be easy.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Xander562 said:
i think it is reasonably easy on the current iMacs, but no one knows what the insides of the new imac will look like so it's anyones guess how easy it will be. If the trend goes the way it has been, it should be easy.

Yea, I expect it'll be close to the same as it is now but you're right it could be slightly different and being a rumor this is all speculation but I wanted to kind of "prepare" myself for what might be to come. My PC died about 3 months ago and I am living on my PowerBook (not exactly the best situtation). So I was looking at a Mac Pro but I need a new monitor and that makes an iMac an easier purchase.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I am considering buying one of these new 23" iMacs if the rumor happens to be true. But I'm not so willing to be paying for Apple's RAM, while better than it used to be, it's still a tad bit high. How hard is it to add ram to one of these new iMacs? It was a breeze on my PB but if it's really hard on the iMac I'll just bite the bullet and go with the 2gig straight from Apple.

I think the next versions of the iMac will solder memory to the logic board so you might have no choice but to get memory from Apple. They've done it with their laptops and Mini so it seems reasonable that the iMac is next.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I think the next versions of the iMac will solder memory to the logic board so you might have no choice but to get memory from Apple. They've done it with their laptops and Mini so it seems reasonable that the iMac is next.
...The last post in this thread was over a decade ago, talking about the first-gen Intel iMacs.

SystemSettings

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
Wisconsin, USA

I haven't done a ram upgrade for a while, but if its the same on the 2007 iMac (Doubt it is) then it shouldn't be that hard.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I hope that the OP has figured this out already.

Do try to watch the thread dates. :D
The post that you are trying to answer is from 10 years ago.

Reactions: simonsi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.