iMac CPU Fan problem!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by faneos, Aug 3, 2012.

1. faneos macrumors member

faneos

When I start my iMac CPU fan run at full speed istat menus shows 0 rpm temperatures and and everything else seems normal I did a SMC reset problem stays I tried a SMC reset again and i will leave the machine off all night and i open it in the morning anyone have an idea whats wrong?:(

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Either your iMac is clogged with dust or the fan broke. Take it to Apple Store.

3. faneos, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

faneos thread starter macrumors member

faneos

I am unemployed now no money for apple store.There is a chance of defected cpu fan or software related error or anyone has an idea??

4. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

It may be the PRAM that you need to reset, rather than the SMC. See instructions below. Basically unplug power cord, hold power button on for a few seconds, release power button, plug power cord back in, and hit power button to start. I believe that fan controls are stored in PRAM.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

5. faneos thread starter macrumors member

faneos

I read a solution to remove the motherboard battery to reset it what your opinion ?

6. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

I believe pram reset achieves the same thing and you don't have to open up the iMac. I assume the idea of removing the motherboard battery is so that the info concerning the fans and temp sensors is cleared. Pram reset does that.

7. lexvo macrumors 65816

I had a similar problem, turned out that the temperature sensor of the HDD was broken (even though iStat reported CPU fan). The HDD needed to be replaced to fix this (luckily I have AppleCare).

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

My mistake. Could have sworn it was PRAM I was resetting a while back when troubleshooting a fan issue on my Mac Pro. But then again I almost always reset both pram and smc when working on an issue.