iMac CPU upgrade issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frozenblaze1, Jun 26, 2013.

1. frozenblaze1 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have done a CPU upgrade as per Zuri's video (which was fantastic), but I have come up with an issue when running the hardware test. The issue is
    4SNS/1/40000000: VD2R-13.239

From searching the web I've identified that the
    4SNS is a sensor, and
    VD from cnet is "voltage" and "dc".

If anyone can help would be great, I started up the Mac before I put the screen on and computer detects the i7, it's only once I revealed it I ran the hardware test and found the issue.

Any help would be amazing!

2. zuri macrumors member

Hi frozenblade1

Can you give me more info if your iMac is running stable? Boot to OS? Which version.

Secondly, did you reset whole logic board by putting out backup battery? I found it most important on my iMac.
    Run Mac Resource Inspector on Your computer and chceck CPU, if you have yellow "!" on CPU icon it may be different CPU model or logic board is still pushing lower voltage based on i5 stats. - if yes try restart SMC and PRAM with mac resource inspector

Try to boot EFI 3S152 diagnostics. Run all CPU tests at least 5 times. - if OK you are fine to go.
    You can also chceck whole system by 3S152 but it is going to take few hours.

Keep me updated :)

MRI - http://www.fileswap.com/dl/pGa11SGmcv/
    EFI 3S152 - http://www.fileswap.com/dl/KQ3Y9LeRwp/
    restore images on usb stick by disk utility and boot it

3. frozenblaze1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thansk for the reply Zuri.

With the imac it seems to be stable, booting to OS and running as normal.

I did notice a faint burn smell last night (I had 3 computers running) so wondering if thats related.

I reset the logic board by removing the battery. I load up the computer today and try your suggestions, appreciate the hep, and I'll let you know how I go,

Regards,

Matt

4. frozenblaze1, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

frozenblaze1 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. frozenblaze1, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

6. frozenblaze1, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

I got the MRI program working.

Everything is ticked green (Including the CPU) EXCEPT

1. The fan - It says "no config file found, Fan motor limit tests passed"
    2. "Sensors testing failed, no configuration file found. sensor tests failed. number of sensors:35". in a box it has 318.000
    Ran the EFI 3S152 diagnostics and everything passed except,
    - Sensor - Voltage (VD2R - AC/DC 12v G3H test 1, sensor test verifies that sensor reads within the limits: ERROR - Sensor is reading above the high limit

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Hi Zuri,
    Ive download statmenu and from judging from the original hardware error and info above I believe that the AC/DC Sensor saying that voltage is running at 13.24V which is above the 12V Threshold hence the warning. Is there anyway to get it back to 12v? Is 13.24V not an issue? What would I need to do to fix this particlular issue as everything else seems fine,

Regards,

Matt

7. zuri macrumors member

HI
    sorry for not noted before...this version of MRI is little older and have known error on fan and a sensor issue on 2012 iMacs.
    I just wanted to know if CPU is detected right.
    I could not give you newest version of it because it needs AST installed and ACMT account to use.

Did you restart machine by icon in MRI?

For the voltage, it is too high, 13,24V is a burner while your sytem is build for 12V.

If you have iMac still opened, try to clean contacts and replug the two cables from power source to logic board.
    And if your sensor is working incorreclty, there is a very little chance of changing it by yourself.

This is mine for comparison
    [​IMG]

8. frozenblaze1, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

I've just re-opened and will clean power supply connections. Do u think it is a power supply issue? If I can fix would a new power supply fix the problem or is it the logic board?

I've just noticed on the powerboard something has gone wrong and melted. I hope it's just the power board and not the logic

9. zuri macrumors member

Can you post a picture of that defect?

I thing its power supply. If it would be logic board, or SMC chip on it, you will be experiencing much more issues and kernel panics...

10. frozenblaze1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Zuri,

Just an update, took imac into a repairer and apparently I knocked something on the power supply during install that was causing the issue.

Installed a new power supply (only $150) and everything works perfect.

Thanks again for a great tutorial, felt great to do it myself!