Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi everbody,

I have a problem with my iMac (Lion 10.7.2) since a few days. Sometimes, when I come back to my computers after some hours, it presumably crashed - it is black, pressing the on/off button on the back doesn't turn it on again. I have to keep the button a few seconds pressed, after that press it again - then the computer reboots. It shouldn't be a sleep modus issue as sleep is turned out. When analyzing the Console log after starting again, I see this message multiple times before crashing:

02.12.11 05:02:49,000 kernel: (default pager): [KERNEL]: ps_allocate_cluster - send HI_WAT_ALERT
02.12.11 05:02:49,000 kernel: macx_swapon FAILED - 12

After that, the first new Console entry belongs to the turn on/rebooting process (hours after that), so the iMac definitely seems to crash.

I googled for this entry, but didn't find much help. As I am not aware of a special new program I installed which could cause this: Can anybody give me a hint what this message indicates? A memory problem? Is "Swapon" related to my hard disk? Could this mean that the swap file became so big that the system disk was full? (Which definitely wouldn't be normal as I have 8GB of RAM and 180 GB SSD hard disk free - but mabye my radio recording program which I use in the background has a bug and overflows my memory ...)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!!!

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi old-wiz,

thanks a lot for your answer. That's really strange as I have much space on my HDD left and no program recording huge amount of data on my system disk - anyway, I'll follow this clue and try to figure out what is wrong ... Thanks again for the hint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.