iMac Crashing Error?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Redpitsea, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Redpitsea macrumors newbie

Am I the only one getting this?
    It seems like when I'm viewing streaming video (NFL Preseason) and YouTube videos, my system crashes. The screen goings all grey and it tells me in 4 different languages to turn off the system by holding down the power button for 3 seconds. I do all of this then I send an error report to Apple when it reboots.
    I know its pretty rare to get a virus but do I have one?
    I never had this issue before till a week or so AFTER I installed the Lion update.
    Help, it seems like this is happening like 1-2 times a day. Its very frustrating. :confused::confused::confused:

Thank you!!

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

well the grey screen you are getting which tells you to force shut down your system means you are getting kernel panics. Kernel panics are usually, but not always, because of bad RAM. Run your apple hardware test from the system CD's you got with your machine.
    insert the install disk
    hold D at startup. (might be command + D not sure)
    Then follow the onscreen instructions

See what it tells you. When one of my machines kept getting kernel panics, the hardware test stopped at the RAM because it was defective.

3. Redpitsea thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!

Yes, your exactly right. Reading the details of the error report is says a lot of stuff about bad Kernels etc.

IE: BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Thank you. I will try this now. Does this mean I have a defective system? Its only about 4 months old.

----------

BTW, what if you can't find the installation disk? :D

4. Texran macrumors regular

BTW, what if you can't find the installation disk?

was in the box with my keyboard, still is, which is in the box my computer came in.

5. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Your machine might only be 4 months old, but like a HDD, RAM can just brake or have a problems since the beginning.
    This will be covered under your warranty.

Emmm, thats a bloody good question. :D
    To test memory you can download memtest http://cdn.command-tab.com/2008/memtest_422.zip
    once its installed, open up terminal and type memtest.
    it will then start testing your RAM, if there is a problem it will tell you.