iMac crashing with XP in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iPhazer, Dec 21, 2008.

1. iPhazer macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm having a problem with my new intel iMac, 2.8GHz. Whenever I play games in XP through Boot Camp, especially Sim City 4, my mac crashes with the audio looping over and over. I have to hold the power button to restart my mac.

I've been searching for solutions, but haven't found any definitive answers. I recently updated the Realtek Audio drivers, but that didn't help.

Could there be heat issues when playing games on the windows side that causes this?

2. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

could it be heat? Does it only crash while gaming? Has it ever crashed in os x or doing light tasks in windows?

3. iPhazer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah could be heat. Never crashed in OSX, or during light tasks in XP. Maybe the fans are not firing up full speed in XP? But I would think that would be a more widespread issue?

4. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

5. iPhazer thread starter macrumors newbie

6. iPhazer thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is definitely heat, I upped the fans to 2500 rpm and was able to play for several hours before it crashed. So I'll continue to raise the rpms until it's stable.

Thanks for the tip mate :)

7. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

How high did you raise the rpm's until Sim City was stable for longer periods of time? Any other issues/concerns raised in your time since December?