iMac crazy!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macintosh1984, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Macintosh1984 macrumors regular

Hi!

I'm going crazy for how much trouble I'm having with my iMac late 2012 after being passed to the Mavericks.

At the first "clean" installation
    - The computer was restarted on its own after a few minutes of use, many times a day.

At the second "clean" installation
    - No more reboots while I'm using the computer, but 9 times out of 10, when I put it to sleep and I'm going to wake up, wake up instead of reboots!
    - If the computer is in sleep for more than 70 minutes, instead of remaining in sleep, it restarts by itself!

I went back to Mountain Lion but always finding these problems.

I do not have the Recovery HD partition and Logical Volume Group name is Internal Drive, was the first Macintosh HD.

How can I fix it?

Before Mavericks have never had problems, they are several months that I have this iMac.

I did one test in SafeBoot, and it does not happen, I do not know if it was just luck!

2. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

No one experiencing this problem or can give me some solution?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

what's in the system log?
    have you take it to Apple for a diagnostic? or run the apple hardware tests?
    Or tried running from an external HDD?
    And give people more time to respond..at least 24 hours

4. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, you're right, I'll wait with anxiety.

However, the system.log is very long but I highlight this
    Dec 18 15:07:25 localhost kernel [0]: ACPI: sleep states S3 S4 S5
    Dec 18 15:07:25 localhost kernel [0]: Sleep failure code 0x00000000 0x1f006700

I did not bring the Mac to Apple for the moment. The hardware test done a few weeks ago showed no problems.
    I have not tried it on external hard drive

I did one test in SafeBoot, and it does not happen, I do not know if it was just luck!

What do you think?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is a good clue right there. Safe Mode boot does not load any startup/login items, so if it happens in a regular boot and does not happen in a safe boot that tells you one of your login items is causing the problem.

What do you have in login items?

Try removing half of the login items at a time then test to narrow it down to the culprit.

6. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

iTunesHelper is the only item present on System Preferences.

You say to look in:
    - StartupItems
    - LaunchAgents
    - LaunchDaemons

of my Library (Home) and Library on the root of my HD?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, exactly. Try removing iTunes helper also.

8. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Weaselboy, great! You saved me a second time!

Fingers crossed, but after remove from LaunchAgents 2 .plist of Adobe product and 1 from Spotify, it seems that all is OK!

I also disconnected the USB cables, so I'm checking If is a USB problem or what .plist do this problem.

A few months ago I made a mess by deleting the Recovery HD partition, remember? Well, you think that doing a fresh install and create from Disk Utility a partition called Recovery HD 650 MB, when I go to install Mavericks, will fill it properly?

I do not find either the Hardware Test, is part of the Recovery HD partition?

Last thing, thanks to your help I was able to rebuild the structure of my Fusion Drive destroyed when I deleted Recovery HD, now is

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)
    |
    +-- Logical Volume Group xxxxx
    =========================================================
    Name: Internal Drive

How can change Internal Drive to "Macintosh HD"?

I'm trying in every way to return the machine as newly purchased, so find a solution to the issue of the stop (perhaps found the solution now), then re-create the Recovery HD partition, and finally change from Internal Drive to Macintosh HD the Logical volume Group.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh good... glad that did the trick. :)

If you just reinstall Mavs over top of the existing install, it will make a recovery partition. You don't need to create a partition ahead of time or anything. This won't erase your data, but backup first just to be safe.

Are you sure you are missing the recovery partition, because it looks different in a Fusion drive. Enter "diskutil list" (without the quoted) in Terminal and post up the output.

Yes it is. Some newer machines can also download it over the Internet when you run the utility. I don't know if your 2012 will do that. Won't hurt to try.

Open Disk Util and look at the disk/drive naming. Is it like shown in the first post of this thread with Internal Drive at the top with Macintosh HD below? If so, that is normal. If the Macintosh HD part is Internal Drive you should be able to rename it by selecting it Finder then click a second time and you can rename it.

10. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Weaselboy, I update my situation and thanks again for your patience!

Code:
    /dev/disk0
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk0
       1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
       2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         121.0 GB   disk0s2
       3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
       1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
       2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         999.3 GB   disk1s2
       3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               650.0 MB   disk1s3
    /dev/disk2
       0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           *1.1 TB     disk2
    Code:
    CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)
    |
    +-- Logical Volume Group XXXXX
        =========================================================
        Name:         Internal Drive
        Size:         1120333979648 B (1.1 TB)
        Free Space:   0 B (0 B)
        |
        +-< Physical Volume XXXXX
        |   ----------------------------------------------------
        |   Index:    0
        |   Disk:     disk0s2
        |   Status:   Online
        |   Size:     120988852224 B (121.0 GB)
        |
        +-< Physical Volume XXXXX
        |   ----------------------------------------------------
        |   Index:    1
        |   Disk:     disk1s2
        |   Status:   Online
        |   Size:     999345127424 B (999.3 GB)
        |
        +-> Logical Volume Family XXXXX
            ----------------------------------------------------------
            Encryption Status:       Unlocked
            Encryption Type:         None
            Conversion Status:       NoConversion
            Conversion Direction:    -none-
            Has Encrypted Extents:   No
            Fully Secure:            No
            Passphrase Required:     No
            |
            +-> Logical Volume XXXXX
                ---------------------------------------------------
                Disk:               disk2
                Size (Total):       1111824515072 B (1.1 TB)
                Size (Converted):   -none-
                Revertible:         No
                LV Name:            Macintosh HD
                Volume Name:        Macintosh HD
                Content Hint:       Apple_HFS

Now I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.5, It seems that Boot OS X is the Recovery HD but I can't boot on it, I think because is named Boot OS X and not Recovery HD.

This is my Disk Utility situation:
    disk_utility.jpg

I remember very well that the first Internal Drive was Macintosh HD and now I can rename it.

I know that "Internal Drive" is not a problem, but I'd like to have everything set up as Apple. How rename it?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Everything I see there looks normal for a Fusion drive. It renames that first logical volume group as Internal Drive and it can't be changed that I know of.

It looks like you do have a recovery partition. With a Fusion drive it won't show up as a boot option if you option key boot, but it will work if you hold command-r when you boot. Try holding command-r when you boot and see if it works. I betcha is does. I think you are in good shape.

12. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, option-D I can boot on HT, but it seems that download something from Internet, I always thought that the HT was already preloaded.

With the ALT key I don't see the Recovery HD.

With option-R I can boot in the Recovery HD, so is present, but I need to wait a few minutes that the Recovery HD is download again from Internet, so it seems that what is already present in Boot OS X, is not taken into consideration.

In another post I had opened some days ago, I will try to find a person who has Fusion Drive and se if have the same structure from diskutil and Disk Utility, if the Recovery HD is called Boot OS X and if there is a method to rename Internal Drive.

Thanks for your tips!

13. marzer, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I've been playing with DIY fusion drives for a while now. The only way I've seen to rename the logical group (I.e. "Internal Drive" in this case) is to delete and recreate it, which destroys the underlying logical volumes. "Internal Drive" by the way is the default name that Disk Utility, when ran from an install or recovery disk, assigns the logical group when it creates the Fusion drive. Usually during "fix" routine when it detects the fusion drive no longer exists and asks the user to either fix or ignore it .

As I suggested in the other post, your best bet is to recreate the Fusion Drive from scratch using the do-it-yourself instructions available online.

Something not made clear in the other post was the situation regarding your recovery partition. After creating the fusion drive from scratch, perform a clean install. That should restore a fully functioning recovery partition. THEN perform a restore from your latest backup.

Just for future ref. DON'T mess with partitions that are labeled with "Apple Boot" or "EFI" or are hidden. And from my experience, the recovery partition does not show up when performing an option-key boot. My only access to it is via a command-r boot.

14. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks marzer, we can discuss a moment to this post http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1684625

15. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Well... after weeks of testing I can not find a solution to this problem, if the computer is in sleep for more than 70 minutes, instead of remaining in sleep, it restarts by itself with the bong sound!

In some situation, if the compeer is turned off and try to turn it on, I hear the hard drive turn on and off many times for about 20 secods, after I hear the bong and then I see the computer turn on.

Other times, if the computer is in sleep, and I wake up with a mouse click, It reboot hearing the bong sound.

I do not know what to do, terrified by the fact that it could be a hardware problem, since the problems presents the computer is in sleep or when turned off.

- I reset the PRAM
    - I have reset the SMC

Now I'm with Mountain Lion in the coming days I will install 10.9.1 Mavericks to try.

What do you think?