Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAVE2158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
new york
Heres the story Brother try to install OS X on Sisters Imac (350 Blueberry
slot loaded,2 USB Ports I believe 1.1)Imac is now dead. Just a wonderful black screen, I am hoping there is a way to save this wonderful Machine for sis. So I am calling on all Mac Heads near and far. Can I Link it up with my G4 and boot it from there and then install I believe the Firmware upgrade then OS X not to sure about this ant help and thanks again.
:eek:

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
Since the firmware update hasn't been applied yet, target disk mode is out of the question. The easist way to accomplish the update, is to remove the hard drive and put it on a external drive sled.
You can then mount it from your G4, place the contents of the firmware update disc in the "System Folder/Startup Items/" on the iMacs hard drive replace it and follow the Firmware update instructions.

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
DAVE2158 said:
Heres the story Brother try to install OS X on Sisters Imac (350 Blueberry
slot loaded,2 USB Ports I believe 1.1)Imac is now dead. Just a wonderful black screen, I am hoping there is a way to save this wonderful Machine for sis. So I am calling on all Mac Heads near and far. Can I Link it up with my G4 and boot it from there and then install I believe the Firmware upgrade then OS X not to sure about this ant help and thanks again.
:eek:

There is a way to do it, because I did it myself about 10 month ago, but I can't remember exactly how I did it. However it involves connecting an external monitor to the iMac via its video out port, which is hidden beneath the plastic grille on the back of the machine. Booting up will give you the iMac's system on the external monitor. You'll probably have to burn the firmware upgrade to a CD-R on your G4, and install it on the iMac from that, but the details are fuzzy now.

If you can get the iMac video to appear on the external monitor you could try connecting the iMac to your G4 and installing the firmware from the G4 - you'll have to experiment a bit I think.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it is possible.

DAVE2158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
new york
Dead Imac

Well I Open up the grill on the Imac and and there is no Video Jacks.Is this getting hopeless or what? Taking out the harddrive and installing it in a sled seems all well and good but i have no sled.So then what. Any more help wounld be great. Thanks Guys And Merry Christmas.... :confused:

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
imac

hi

i would pick up a usb to ide adapter and if your desired system has usb 2 install the update and os on the imac harddrive from the powermac via usb to ide adapter of course

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
DAVE2158 said:
Well I Open up the grill on the Imac and and there is no Video Jacks.Is this getting hopeless or what? Taking out the harddrive and installing it in a sled seems all well and good but i have no sled.So then what. Any more help wounld be great. Thanks Guys And Merry Christmas.... :confused:
Again, my mistake. Only the 400 mhz has the video out. Depending on the G4 you have, you might be able to install it in the unit directly and go from there.
If not you could pick up a sled for $50 bucks
here .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.