Imac Dead :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Washac, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Washac, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Very early dead Imac, will not power on, so I assume the logic board has died.

Does anybody know the cost of getting this fixed (UK) or is it more worthwhile to buy something new ?

New machine not required for gaming just real basic stuff nothing that requires to much grunt.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You'll have to go to Apple and have it diagnosed because seriously, "will not power on" isn't telling anyone anything.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It's hard to say. You will need to take it to Apple to find out what is wrong. Judging from your sig, you have an older iMac that may not be worth saving. The newer ones are much quicker anyway.

4. Washac, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Yes as you say it is an old Imac, one of the early aluminium ones.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

"dead iMac" can be a logic board, but more likely is the power supply.
    Also, certain RAM failures can block power up.
    Try removing ALL the memory sticks, then try a power up. You should get a flashing power LED, and maybe repeating error tones (I'm not sure about that)
    If you get a flashing LED with NO RAM installed, unplug power, and any other attached cables, let your iMac sit for a couple of minutes, then insert ONE RAM stick. If you have not done that too often, the RAM takes more pressure to install than you might think. You may even hear a mild "click" when the memory is fully inserted. Try to power on with just the one stick. If you get a boot, shut off, then add the second stick, and try power again.
    If you get absolutely no response (no noise/fans/drive noises/LED), even with no RAM installed, then likely a power supply (much cheaper than the logic board, so try the cheap repair first :D )

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Does the machine make any noise or have any video at all? If not then it's likely a power supply that has failed.

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Nothing, completely and utterly dead.

8. wordsworth macrumors regular

9. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

One week ago and it has been playing up with powering on for sometime as in I could turn the machine off but it had to remain plugged in and turned on at the power point. It was unplugged a week ago while a holiday was taken, now once plugged back in, it is dead.

10. wordsworth macrumors regular

I assume you were using it fairly regularly before that?

I'd wondered whether your iMac had sat around unplugged for a couple of years or so, in which case the PRAM battery might have died. I'm not sure whether a dead battery would indeed prevent it from powering up, though I know that my old PowerBook will only power up again once I replace its dead PRAM battery.