iMac decision: $1400 Rev A refurb or $1800 Rev B?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sigamy, May 3, 2005.

  1. sigamy macrumors 65816

    Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    I'm sure that most of you will say that the new Rev B iMac is a much better deal's a bit difficult to shell out $1800 for a computer, you know? Especially with the WAF.

    I currently have a 1Ghz G4 17" iMac. I love it and I am a pretty heavy iLife user. I make tons of movies and put them up on homepage and make custom DVDs for family/friends. I'll have to sell the G4 iMac, which will be a sad day.

    I'm interested in moving to a G5 to speed up rendering effects in iMovie and DVD encoding in iDVD. I may start making short films so maybe even move up to FCE. I also want the 20" LCD, as an upgrade to my 17".

    I really don't need the new iMac but I just have the itch to upgrade.

    So what would you do? Grab the Rev A 20" or go all out on the new one? Or keep my beautiful G4 iMac?
  2. asif786 macrumors 65816


    Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    the g4 imac is a beautiful machine, it'll be really hard to part with it!

    personally, i have a rev. a imac g5, and getting the rev. a has always been a mistake imo. i remember ordering a rev. a AlBook and i got the white spot issue. i swore to myself that i would never get another rev.a product. then i got the imac g5, and the fan noise that this thing makes is driving me nuts!

    i have heard *soo* many problems about the rev a imac g5 that i would definitely get the rev b. if i were you. rev a. products can be a major pain in the ass.

    perhaps hold out a little longer and get a PB? or maybe a refurb pm?
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5


    Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    New one, no doubt. Doing videos, you'll appreciate the speed and extra hard drive space. Also, presumably less chance of breakdown on the RevB

    Being able to up your RAM to 2 GB is an improvement over the G4's 1 Gb max.

Share This Page