iMac: Delivery Time with HD 4850

Discussion in 'iMac' started by plex, Mar 5, 2009.

  1. plex macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2009

    So I'm more or less one click away of ordering my lovely new iMac.

    I'm definitely going with the top-end-version (3.06 24") as it should be quite future-proof for the next few years.

    The only worry left concerns the shipping date when choosing the Radeon HD 4850 as GPU. On one hand, the difference to the GT130 just seems too enormous to be left out at 45,- € - on the other hand I just don't want to wait 4-6 weeks. :eek:

    Any chance the Radeon-iMac is shipped earlier than stated?

    Would you prefer a smaller GPU like the GT130 instead of waiting?

  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    No, because it needs an update (OS X 10.5.7 I think).

    I went for GT130 because I don't want to wait anymore
  3. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

    Jan 2, 2009
    I'm gonna get the GT 130 as I don't play games and can't afford to wait so much for the Radeon. Apart from games, the difference is quite small.
  4. avihappy macrumors 6502


    Nov 15, 2006
    Really, the Radeon is way better. I'm sure you can wait for something that will last you longer, right? There is not really a good reason to go with the 130 unless you are impatient and/or need the new iMac now.
  5. Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    Orlando , FL
    Don't lie to yourself because you know as well I know that u will be trying to sell it when they come out with the new iMac this summer ... So why lie and say this is future-proof nothing you buy these days are like that

    But Good luck with your iMac
  6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

    Sep 27, 2008
    Apple does a great job of delivering earlier than expected. I'm fairly certain they take a projected delivery date and add a certain percentage on top of it to allow for unforeseen things. By doing so, they can deliver early most of the time and if things go wrong, they can almost always deliver on-time. Under-promise and over-deliver is a great business practice.

    Unless you really need the iMac right now, I would simply place your order and it will be here before you know it. Otherwise, you may have buyer's remorse.

  7. plex thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2009
    You seem a bit disappointed?
    I'm not planning to do any high-end gaming on the iMac, so there won't be a need to switch to the next revision as soon as it gets released. This iMac will satisfy my needs very well.

    Thank you, that's what I'm hoping for, too.
  8. Shivetya macrumors 65816

    Jan 16, 2008

    until a site we trust benchmarks both of these machines against each other we really won't know. What if the ATI drivers are not up to snuff? What if it runs too hot to be truly useful?

    The last is my main concern, if it is a little heat puppy it could degrade the life of the system and panel
  9. bindigok macrumors regular

    May 14, 2007
    I'm driving myself crazy here. I've been waiting for months for new iMacs, and I am getting the top of the line iMac. But do I wait for the ATI or get it now? I talked to the IT guy at work and he said it is well worth the wait. That ATI card is very highly rated (I know it depends on the system), but he has been looking into it and thinks I should wait. AHHHHH I think I can wait...... But god I want it now.
  10. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

    Jun 18, 2007
    If history is any indication, the ATI drivers will be better than the Nvidia drivers. Compare PC 3870's vs 8800GT's and then the Mac 3870 vs. 8800 GT performance and you'll see that ATI's drivers (written by ATI themselves apparently) are better than Nvidia's drivers (written by Apple, and not Nvidia supposedly).

    Add on the fact that the 4850 was already a faster card by a large amount, and unless you ABSOLUTELY need it NOW, the 4850 is the way to go
  11. plex thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2009
    Given the idea that the GT130 isn't the mobility version at all (have a look here) the ATi one doesn't seem so much overpowered anymore.

    Do you still think it is worth the wait?

    It would be quite disappointing if the 4850 turns out not being that good as thought. :(
  12. synagence macrumors 6502a

    Jul 23, 2008
    I just spoke to apple store chat, they claim the 4 - 6 weeks lead time on the ATI is due to the "extreme high demand" .... strange how minutes after the site was launched it was 4 - 6 weeks ....

    She also said that it wasn't the mobility version of the 4850 and it was the full-desktop version

    Although, they're opening themselves up to the trade-descriptions act (UK) if they don't deliver the product as advertised.
  13. FoxHoundADAM macrumors regular

    Sep 9, 2008
    You really should wait. Everything I've been reading puts the ATI 4850 well above the nVidia 130. If you are trying to future proof yourself you'd be silly to choose teh inferior card just so you could get you Mac 3 weeks earlier.
  14. Shivetya macrumors 65816

    Jan 16, 2008

    Actually if your not sure you should wait for someone ELSE to test it when it becomes available. This way we know what the part is and we can benchmark it.

    I am not ordering any machine based on what little REAL information we have on it.
  15. MarioLX macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2009
    I just received an email stating that my 24" Radeon HD 4850 has been shipped and should arrive around april 16th! Strange as according to apple the HD 4850 only works with OSX 10.5.7 wich has not yet been released, so either they screwed up my order or brace yourself for a Leopard update!
  16. larrymarshall2 macrumors member

    Jul 15, 2008
    Where on the apple site do you see the fact that the 4850 was waiting on 10.5.7?

    There's no evidence that was the holdup, but congratz on the shipment! :eek:
  17. gasport macrumors 6502


    Mar 10, 2007
    Seems that this is not the reason as they are now shipping.
  18. MarioLX macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2009
    Drivers for the ATI 4850 cards are included in the developers seed of 10.5.7 and no earlier version. I'm a registered developer, maybe that's why I get earlier shipment. Boy I just hoep they didn't screw up my order! I checked any reference in the order and shipping details and they all clearly say "ATI Radeon HD 4850" ... so let's see what the postman brings in earlier next week.

  19. WizardHunt macrumors 68000


    May 11, 2007
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA
    Oh bit your tongue, don't even say that. That would not be good. I am sure it is much better than GT130.
  20. WizardHunt macrumors 68000


    May 11, 2007
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA
    I would like to know that as well, where on the Apple site does it state that the HD4850 option needs the 10.5.7 only?
  21. MarioLX macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2009
    It does not say that directly, just the new developer seed of 10.5.7 shows traces of the new 4850 drivers wich weren't present in any other seed.
    My bet is that 10.5.7 officialy is just around the corner ... matter of days or hours.
    Also the new Nehalem Xserves share 10.5.7 systems .... and they just got released the other day! ;)
  22. WizardHunt macrumors 68000


    May 11, 2007
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA
    Do they have set days that they release new updates like Tuesdays? Or do they update any day they feel like it? or when the update is ready?

Share This Page