Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I've got a simple question, when do you think Imac will get a redesign or a design update( smaller chin/thinner)?

Is it a possibility for the WWDC?
I am planning to buy an Imac in the beginning of August and I want to know if it is worth waiting longer for a design change?

~Macsander~

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
The current design is new.
It has been barley, out for a year. Apple wont be changing the design of the imac for at least another year.
It was just updated last week. If they changed the look of the imac next month. It would upset too many costumers, it might even lead people to believe their may have been a design flaw.

inertiat

macrumors member
May 9, 2008
The current design is new.
It has been barley, out for a year. Apple wont be changing the design of the imac for at least another year.
It was just updated last week. If they changed the look of the imac next month. It would upset too many costumers, it might even lead people to believe their may have been a design flaw.

Well in a sense, the 20" is due to the bleed and dithering. That's going to be the best thing for them to fix for WWDC.
Anyway, back to the author, I'm in the same boat - I want an iMac for Uni (August-September time), so I hope if there is any update, it'll be then so I won't have to wait long. There is speculation that Quad-core processors will be available by the end of the year, so we might catch them in August

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The aluminum iMacs were introduced last August. I don't think you'll see a redesign for quite awhile. Not to mention they were just updated recently.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Not to be bias, but the current iMac is sublime. It will for sure upset a lot of aluminum iMac owners if they change it in a few weeks.

macsander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
What's wrong with the current design? I hope you don't mind it, because it's going to stay for a while.

Well my problem is that there seem to be a lot of problems with the current Imac, the screen bleed/gradient, the sudden shutdown problem etc.. or is this just a small minority made seem to be huge on the forum?

macsander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Small minority. Honestly, who would take the time to post, "My iMAC rusn perfect, no prablems!!!1"?

The faulty ones will always exceed the good ones on a help forum. :cool:

The thing is, It is not really a 'help' forum because it is about the Imac in general, and there seem to be a lot of complaints?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No, then. It's still only a minority. You have the class-action lawsuitists who want to sue Apple for falsely advertising that their display could show more colors than for which it has pixels, but otherwise the yellowists and water-behind-the-screen-problem-that-was-fixed-months-agoists are in the vast minority.

Yes, it's a help forum. How many threads here don't start with questions?

macsander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
No, then. It's still only a minority. You have the class-action lawsuitists who want to sue Apple for falsely advertising that their display could show more colors than for which it has pixels, but otherwise the yellowists and water-behind-the-screen-problem-that-was-fixed-months-agoists are in the vast minority.

Yes, it's a help forum. How many threads here don't start with questions?

True it is is a help forum but those are not the problems I mean, the problems which 'scare' me are the shutdown problem(it just shutdown on you a couple of times a week) and the gradient/screen bleed problem. I want to buy a totally maxed out IMac(3.06mhz-4gb-1TB-nvidea 8800) but I first want to know how big these problems really are and what the risk is of getting one of these 2 problems.
Thanks for the help btw

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
My guess is that we'll see thinner-looking iMacs, with an outboard superdrive option and some kind of touchscreen facility at MacWorld in January 2009.
With glass screens already incorporated and accepted by users, all that remains is to make use of their greatest potential asset – namely, easy cleanability when used as a touchscreen. I think we'll realize in the near future that the iMac's current design has been partially an exercise in getting marketplace acceptance of glass screens, in preparation for the next, big step.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
My guess is that we'll see thinner-looking iMacs, with an outboard superdrive option and some kind of touchscreen facility at MacWorld in January 2009.
With glass screens already incorporated and accepted by users, all that remains is to make use of their greatest potential asset – namely, easy cleanability when used as a touchscreen. I think we'll realize in the near future that the iMac's current design has been partially an exercise in getting marketplace acceptance of glass screens, in preparation for the next, big step.

iMacs will not have touchscreens for years. The ergonomics don't make sense.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
touch screen desktops are a very dumb idea... touch screen notebook computers make more sense, since you're already close and in arms length... but if i have to stand up and reach across my desk to my 24" iMac to get something done (and become blinded while doing so), i won't be using an iMac much longer.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Well in a sense, the 20" is due to the bleed and dithering. That's going to be the best thing for them to fix for WWDC.
Anyway, back to the author, I'm in the same boat - I want an iMac for Uni (August-September time), so I hope if there is any update, it'll be then so I won't have to wait long. There is speculation that Quad-core processors will be available by the end of the year, so we might catch them in August

quad cores wont be ready until early 2009, stop dreaming man.

macattackamac

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
i got my iMac 24", @3.06 ghz 2 days ago and i love it!!! it's the best machine i ever had, it's beautiful, i don't have lights mirroring on the screen so it looks fantastic, it's fast, powerful, huge & everything works fine!!
i was so afraid of having an iMac arriving that would have so many problems after reading aaall these threads here in macrumors. but thx god, nothing of these problems appears on my machine :D

what i'm saying is: go with the current one and i bet you'll love it!

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
i got my iMac 24", @3.06 ghz 2 days ago and i love it!!! it's the best machine i ever had, it's beautiful, i don't have lights mirroring on the screen so it looks fantastic, it's fast, powerful, huge & everything works fine!!
i was so afraid of having an iMac arriving that would have so many problems after reading aaall these threads here in macrumors. but thx god, nothing of these problems appears on my machine :D

what i'm saying is: go with the current one and i bet you'll love it!

you don't even have just a little bit of light leaks around the edges (mura effects) when the screen is all black?

macattackamac

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
nope, and that's weird!!! cuz i expected to have problems with that. but trust me, the quality is immense!! even if it did a huge roadtrip to arrive (czech-london-athens-home), it is in pristine condition. hhehehehehe :cool:

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Some people will never be satsfied...:rolleyes:
You got the best iMac ever out and it's finally up to or better than many PCs (which people for some reasone can't see) yet there's always i want new, will there be new blah blah.

You people have no idea how much are you missing out. You're waisting months (some even years rofl) asking same question and waiting and wating and waiting. You talk, complain, dream while milions of others simply enjoy their systems.

I don't think I will ever understand people like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.