iMac Design Updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Atamagaii, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Atamagaii macrumors newbie

Hi all!

Getting to the stage where I need to buy a new iMac... Obviously I'm waiting for the post-September release of Snow Leopard. I'm just a bit concerned that there will be a major design overhaul of the iMac range not too soon after that. I mean, that will have been 2 whole years since the aluminium iMacs were first unveiled (August 2007). We all know how heartbreaking it is to buy a shiny new Apple product, only to have it become obsolete within 2 months...

If there wasn't the release of Snow Leopard looming, I would have snapped one up as soon as these recent speed bumps came.

I suppose that's how they make their money - To stagger hardware and OS releases. We either buy aging hardware with a new OS, or shiny new hardware with an aging OS...

Anyway, I'm sure someone in their infinite wisdom will be able to shed some light on my hopeless situation ;)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay, look.

They JUST made the laptops look like the iMac. It would be idiotic to change how the iMac looks. This design will be around for at least two more years.

3. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

Waiting around six months for a software update is stupid. Worrying that Apple will shave a few inches off the chin and will therefore make your computer obsolete is stupid. If you have the money now, just buy the computer. There will always be updates sometime in the next six months, and if you wait around forever, you will never give Apple your hard earned cash.

4. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

but besides colour what difference what would the iMac look like

i mean they wouldnt change the stand
    they just improved the internals
    with some more coming up from what i hear

but the design if it becomes smaller
    might have heating and collong problems
    and i dont care its already thin enough

all they can do from what ive seen from previous models
    is steer away from the aluminum but thats in with the apple products
    so all i can see them doing is maybe making the iMac a different colour
    which i suppose isnt like an OMG wait till dat happens

i want to buy iMac
    and peple convinced me here
    that its stupid to wait but if u want u can go right ahead

plus what would they do physically anyways i dont see much room
    to work with right now besides thinner like
    an anorexic computer

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Glorified "Buy now or wait?" thread. Standard response: If you need it, there's no sense waiting.

6. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I would welcome a non gloss option on the iMac, but major design changes, not going to happen after they just redesigned their displays and notebooks changing the iMac would make little sense, Apple likes the Black on Aluminum with white accents. Black anodized aluminum would be sweet though.

As for you, if you want to wait for a minor speed bump go for it, but waiting for snow leopard is silly, you can just upgrade when it comes out. Unless you don't care and really just want to wait.