IMac desktop or 15" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macbanda, Aug 29, 2009.

1. macbanda macrumors member

Hello everyone, I'm considering buying an Imac for my family (I have a MacBook) myself but I wonder if it would make sense to buy the MacBook Pro instead. Any advantages/disadvantages to either option? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns

Do you have little kids? If they break the display on the MBP or iMac you're screwed.

How about a Mini with a non-Apple, easily replaceable, display?

3. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

I do have little kids so thanks for bringing up that little detail :)

4. parakiet macrumors regular

i can only quote myself..

do you need mobile power?
    if so: go for the mbp
    if not: imac

5. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, good point. I have a MacBook which is probably all I need. Am I correct in assuming that the IMac would be more powerful than the MacBook Pro? (faster processor, bigger hard drive etc..)

6. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Not necessarily. Depending on what you get, both the iMac and the MacBook Pro could be equally as powerful.

7. Buzz Bumble Guest

That's the best idea. The currect fashion trend is for people to buy a laptop simply to look "cool" and "cutting edge", and in reality many of those laptops rarely ever leave the desk / table they are first put on or are ever unplugged from the wall (in fact a few never even leave the bag!).

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

iMac is the better option. Much harder to break for kids, has larger display, more HD space for less or same money.

No families need a portable family computer ;)

9. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I think you are right about the durability. One thing that is helping me pull the trigger is that I qualify for a free ITouch when purchasing a computer and since I already have a MacBook, which I love given that I can work on it when sitting couch on a plane and watch a movie without the bulkiness, I'm beginning to lean toward the IMac but still would like to hear other opinions.

10. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I totally agree. You can't break the screen on a mini. Just buy a cheap $100 Dell and let them loose.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

buy a mbp and give them your macbook... just get a keyboard and mouse and tell them not to take it off the desk... :)