iMac DHCP conundrum.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hopstretch, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to a new iMac and gave my G4 to a friend. Never had any networking problems with it. Now, suddenly, I can't get it to connect to the Internet at her house. We've swapped out the cable modem and the ethernet cords, so it's not those causing the problem. Network setup shows green lights all the way down through ISP but fails at the Internet connection, throwing up a 169 IP address, which I understand likely indicates a DHCP failure.

Have tried: renewing DHCP lease, power cycling the modem, having ISP reset the modem, having ISP tech physically inspect the cable connection and all associated equipment. Still no dice. The tech was able to connect his XP laptop through the modem, so that's all working as it should. He suggested the NIC in the iMac was bad -- but it works at my place so that's not it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I would suggest setting a static IP address in the range supported by the new router, and if that's successful then set it for DHCP. I've found with a couple of other systems that, if the old router has a base address on a different subnet from the new one, the subnet mask can inhibit the system from seeing the router to get an IP address. Setting a static IP forces it into the new subnet, and then it should be able to find the router to get a DHCP address.

Edit: Just a thought - the new router isn't set for MAC address filtering by any chance?