Imac Died NEED HELP

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chuchie, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Chuchie macrumors newbie

Hi guys i am a long time viewer first time poster.

My iMac 27inch 2010 model just died today and I have a extremely important presentation saved on there for work. It is backed up to my timemachine, so when i turn my mac on i get a folder with ? inside that flashes, and no matter what key I hold down it wont go onto anything else ??

What are my options, ive done some research and everyone says the HDD is dead ?

Also if I did open it up and the little thin black cable in the top corner came off, is that a bad thing ??

IM DESPERATE please help me :(

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Is it still under AppleCare warranty? If so, take it to Apple and they should replace the HDD.

3. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

take your time machine to another Mac and search for the presentation file name, it should come up

4. Chuchie thread starter macrumors newbie

No warranty left, i think it just ran out.

So the presentation is safe, but how do I go about getting mac back to life. Also the little black cable has popped off on the inside, is it still fixable ?

Or is the machine as good as gone

5. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

You can probably trade out the HD. but that takes time and some understanding, and maybe a small screwdriver.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I'm not sure what the significance of the black cord is, but if the machine powers on still and you can see the blinking ? then it is probably still fixable. You are going to have to buy a new HDD for it and install it. Search on ifixit.com for a repair guide for your machine. You will have to reinstall OSX afterwards.

I would also think about taking it to the apple store or an authorized reseller and have them diagnose the problem so you know exactly what's wrong before spending time and money on an HDD replacement.

This is why I am glad I bought apple care.