IMAC Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by avrilat, Jul 5, 2011.

1. avrilat macrumors newbie

Hello i have been using macs for years now. I myself have a 2010 macbook pro.
    I am a COO in my father's company and i want to have a new computer that can still be competitive in the market in the following years. What i will do with it will be normal office stuff word... Also i will use it for interior design and architecture. I will have autocad and i want to install windows on it as well.

So i am thinking getting the IMAC 21.5 with core i7 and 2.8 GHz 1 Tb and 8 gb memory

Will it be really performant or should i get something else. I am opened to any proposition. I know that it is for a basic use but keep in mind that i will be using it for years. And i thought about the 27 inch one i think it is just too big for me ( I am already wearing glasses :cool:)
    Thanks guys

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You've got the latest processors and motherboards known to Intel in that model. Only downside is the graphics GPU, used to keep heat to a minimum in the enclosed design.

I was using a white first gen core 2 duo for basic office stuff and windows xp on boot camp and VMware Fusion. Only drawback there was the 3 gigs of ram when using virtualization.

Not terribly up on autocad requirements. What does the software currently require or suggest?

Unless you've got some software that specifically uses multiple cores well, you'd probably be just as well off with the higher clocked i5 as the i7. The advantage of the i7 is that is has up to 8 virtual cores for the few specialized professional programs that are made to take advantage of multiple cores. Most programs really don't take full advantage of four.

3. avrilat thread starter macrumors newbie

So do you think I will alright with this imac configuration wether its i5 or i7? And also do you think 8 Gb of Ram will be enough??

Many thanks. : )

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Oh yes, the i5 and 8GB will be plenty of power to do all that you describe and last a long time before needing a new 'puter. Heck, I still have a 2.3GHz C2D MBP with 3GB of RAM and it still runs along fine.

5. avrilat thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok then. I was very worried because of the fact that i will be installing windows on it so i wanted it to be powerful. Windows tend to slow down computers:D