iMac Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tin67, Sep 17, 2013.

  1. Tin67 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2013
    #1
    I’m looking at an iMac 27” to replace my late 2008 MBP, but there are decisions to make that drive the timing and direction of this purchase.

    Mavericks is on the horizon and there is the potential for a product update that may accompany the new OS-X. While the thought of a new improved iMac is great, I do have some reservations over Mavericks and the compatibility of some of my existing software.

    To me the iMac is a significant investment and what I can’t afford is additional costs for updating software. What is most important to me is Adobe Creative Suite. I currently run CS5.5 purchased as an educational copy a couple of years back and this works just fine on Mountain Lion. While I believe I can upgrade to CS6, this is an expense I can’t cover, and with Adobe changing to a subscription model, I need to stretch what I have for a few years to come.

    It’s said that there’s always something better on the horizon, but the current models of iMac are nearing a year old and that’s a long time for this kind of technology.

    If I purchase an iMac 27 now, it will be better than my existing set up, but do I run the risk and wait?

    Cheers
     
  2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2012
    #2
    IMHO I would wait another month or so and see what gets released, however what is expected to be updated on the iMac will be nothing drastic, haswell, upgraded wifi will be the obvious two. Certainly nothing that does not make the 2012 iMac a slouch and certainly an nice upgrade from your 2008 MBP.

    If your budget is tight I would also suggest taking a look at the iMac refurbs on Apple.

    I guess it comes down to want vs need, if you need to replace your MBP now then I would say go for it and get a 2012 model. If your OK with what you have now for a month or two then wait and see what the new model has to offer.
     
  3. Tin67, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

    Tin67 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2013
    #3
    Thanks for your reply. Originally I didn't intend to make a change just yet, so there is no immediate need. I wasn't expecting too much of an product update, it's the move to Mavericks that potentially throws a spanner in the works and has driven my thoughts to a purchase sooner rather than later.

    I should add that I've not exactly had my finger on the pulse, so only learned recently about Mavericks.
     
  4. firedept macrumors 603

    firedept

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere!
    #4
    If you are in no hurry then wait for the new iMac & Mavericks to come out. Then wait for the reviews to see what programs will and will not work with them. Should not be to long a wait for you. If your programs will not work on the new iMac's that come out, then look for a refurb late 2012 model.

    I currently own the newest late 2012 iMac and it will run CS4 with no problems. I am running CS6 though. So your CS5.5 should be fine.

    As for you upgrading your CS5.5 to CS6, since your copy is an educational one, you will not be able to just upgrade to CS6. One of the restrictions of educational copies. You will need to find a full educational CS6.
     
  5. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

    ggibson913

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2006
    #5
    RE: REfurb

    Except that once Mavericks comes out, it is normal for Apple to ship the refurbs with the updated OS as well. I would get the refurb top of the line iMac now. The Haswell isn't going to make much processing power difference and battery life is a non issue, and it is doubtful they willget Retina. I don't know how much Mavericks will be but if recent history is any guide, it won't be expensive.
     
  6. Tin67 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2013
    #6
    I always thought that about educational copies, but I see from Adobe forums that you're right in that you cannot upgrade to later educational copy. However, it seems it is possible to purchase a normal upgrade. I'd want to confirm this before parting with cash, but it seems to be right.

    Good point, that wouldn't help me too much as I could do without paying for an Adobe software upgrade after purchasing a new or refurb 2012 iMac (Refurbs are very short in supply from Apple UK). With Mountain Lion I'm good to go and if all's okay with Mavericks I can upgrade later.

    Cheers guys
     

Share This Page