Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MNRXguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Hello all. I just got my first iMac today. I absolutely love it except for one thing. It keeps on disconnecting from by wireless home network. It currently is wirelessly connected to my 4 year old Netgear wireless router. I'm not sure if the problem is with the router or the iMac. When the iMac disconnects, I can still get a wireless signal with my iPod Touch. Also, when I connect the iMac to the router via ethernet cable, I still can't get it to connect. The only thing that seems to work is to turn off the air port and then turn it back on. Having to do this every 15 minutes is a bit of a pain. Is there a wireless setting that I"m overlooking? I'm new to the Apple computer world, so I'm sure there's a good chance I have something set up incorrectly. Maybe my router is junk. Would it be a good idea to pick up a new Apple wireless router? Thanks for the help!

MNRXguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
I should also mention that when the internet stops responding, the wireless network setting window says the AirPort is "connected".

morty192

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I also get this the odd time. I'm using a BT Home Hub and figured it was just the Hub

Dresevski

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2011
Minnesnowda
At my work the office uses 17" MBP's and a netgear router of some kind...they all have odd problems almost daily with the internet. Someone usually unplugs it to reboot and things work again for a while. On the other hand I have the Airport Extreme at home and it never fails to keep my MBP connected.

I just assume it has something to do with the manufacturer. Apple stuff seems to always work perfectly with other Apple stuff, you know?

loves2travel

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
hard time connecting to the internet

Just got our iMac i7 and we are getting the same problem! We have a linksys wireless N router.

iDabble

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
i have the same issue with my new 27" 2.7, and it seems to be getting worse. if i let the computer sit for more than 10 minutes it disconnects. it still says its connected though. i have to shut off the airport and reset it...any suggestions?

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
To reduce the risk of drop-outs, try:

Change 1:

Within wireless modem, change to 802.11g only and change is maximum connection rate to 18 Mbits.

Change 2:

Within wireless modem, change Authentication from default WEP to WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. For some unknown reason, some WEPs don't like the new iMacs, but ok with MBPs or other Apple end devices.

These 2 items resolve majority of drop-outs on the "new" iMacs.

---------

WEP-Open: Offers the same security offered by a wired network (LAN) with encrypted packets. This option offers either 64-bit or 128-bit encryption. In this mode, WEP keys are always authenticated at the device level. After authentication, data is then encrypted between the gateway and the connected device.

WEP-Shared: Similar to WEP-Open but in this mode, WEP keys accept a string of unencrypted data from a device. The wireless Home Networking modem encrypts with a WEP key and sends back the encrypted data to the attached device.

To use either of these two options, please enter one of the following in the Key field:

To enable 64-bit encryption, enter a 10 character key, using only hexadecimal characters. Alternatively, you may also use a 5 ASCII character key.
To enable 128-bit encryption, enter a 26 character key, using only hexadecimal characters. Alternatively, you may also use a 13 ASCII character key.
Note: Hexadecimal characters can only be numbers 0-9 and/or letters A-F.

WPA-PSK: This supports TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol) which allows verification of the security configuration after the encryption keys are determined, synchronizes changing of the unicast encryption key for each frame, and then determines a unique starting unicast encryption key for each pre-shared key authentication.

WPA2-PSK: This supports AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) which is a private key algorithm that ranges from 128- to 256-bits.

WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK: Turns on both WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK mode.

To use any of these three options, please enter one of the following in the Key field:

A 64 character key, using only hexadecimal characters.
An ASCII "pass phrase" between 8 and 63 alphanumeric characters. Click SAVE.

Important: If you changed the network name or key, you will need to reconfigure your wireless network on your computer.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Within wireless modem, change Authentication from default WEP to WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. For some unknown reason, some WEPs don't like the new iMacs, but ok with MBPs or other Apple end devices.

Yep, WEPs are not always friendly for some reason.

Csory

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I have met a similar problem (discussed in some other threads both here and on Apple's own forums) with my new 27"iMac. The "trick" is that my iMac (and apparently many others) can't reliably connect to 5GHz (802.11n band) specific networks. I limited my router to use only 2.4GHz bands (just disable 802.11.n for testing). In my case it cut the wireless transfer speed in third (can't go .n over 2.4GHz as I need 802.11b for legacy devices) but it fixed my iMac's net connectivity. Now waiting for a firmware update from Apple :confused:

mom4mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
iMac randomly drops wifi

I see several on this thread had the same problem that I am having. I just my bought my first iMac and my wifi keeps dropping. My Dell PC, iPads, and iPods have no problem keeping connectivity, but my iMac drops connection 10 times a day. This is very frustrating! Any help would be much a appreciated!

By the way, I already did Spike88's recommendations of changing to 802.11g only and WPA-PSK. That didn't fix this. I am using a Netgear router. I am hoping that I don't have to buy Apple's router, but if that is the only fix, I'll do it.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I download the Wi-Fi fix through software update. After the fix was applied my network connection is now instaneous after wake from sleep. Before it go into a searching mode for my Wi-Fi network after wake from sleep.

I am using 10.7.3 on my 2011 27" iMac.

mom4mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
So far so good! :)

I'd like to know if this helps. Is this automatically installed via Software Update?

I've seen some info out there about using certain kext files (I think) from Snow Leopard to alleviate the dropout problem.

Brian - So far so good. I have gone into sleep mode several times and I have yet to lose my wifi! I really hope this lasts! :)

muldoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Here's what worked for me - so far

My son asked if I had a wireless phone nearby - the kind with a base station and several phones through the house. I had one of the satellite units in my office so I removed it and so far, so good.

sweetcaro

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Wifi disconnect issue is finally gone!

I tried _EVERYTHING_
even taking my imac 3 times to the Apple Store (not easy, it's heavy!)
And of course those dorks couldn't see _anything_ wrong because their WIFI inside the apple store has no security and the problem with the wifi disconnect is when there is security enabled (in my experience).

I just updated to Mountain Lion and the problem is gone! So it was definitely a bug in Lion.

bobby5374

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
I figured out the problem!!!

Ok, so I had the exact same problem. My iMac wouldn't stay connected to my brand new router. What you have to do is go into Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/System Configuration. The system configuration is a folder that you delete by moving it to the trash. Don't worry, I promise you won't hurt anything. What you are doing is dumping the folder that has all the info for routers etc.. that you have connected to in the past. Getting rid of that will allow you Mac to stay connected to YOUR router!! Good luck, I hope I've helped!

I learned this by paying the $20 to Apple support and they walked me through the problem. They guys there new exactly what was wrong, it sucks they charge to fix it. My PC's never have this issue...lol

I'm a Mac hater... It is my wifes Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.