iMac discontinued?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dvoros, Apr 27, 2014.

1. dvoros macrumors 6502

Is the bread and butter of the company going to be discontinued? We hear of no word on updating iMacs. What a shame.:confused:

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Basing on a presumed absence of rumors of a product is not a basis for anything other than sheer speculation.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Where do you get this idea?
    There is NO way apple will discontinue it in the near future. It has evolved from the first Macintosh. I highly doubt Apple would discontinue a product that has been through do many revisions.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

A silly foolish statement, Apple just released financial numbers last week and indicated Macs make up a multibillion dollar portion of their business, they updated the iMac line late in 2013 and it's only April now, where would you get any idea they are going away?

6. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Not a chance, and the bread and butter of the company is iPhone.

7. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

? It was updated seven months ago.

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

That must mean my Mini is really an updated Macintosh II without all those lovely Nubus slots.

:rolleyes:

9. Nee412 macrumors 6502

You must have missed the continued rumors of a cheaper version of the iMac coming soon. As others already said, it was updated only around 7 months ago and isn't due for an update yet.

The iMac is far from dead.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Troll much? The current iMac refresh cycle is due around autumn time as the last few years. Don't expect any rumours much before then, as its not an iPhone where case makers get prototypes weeks in advance. I'm sure the iMac will continue to be part of the line up for years to come.

Attached Files:

11. hologram macrumors 6502

I haven't heard any news lately about Patriot anti-missle missles or Harley-Davidsons being updated.

Does this mean Raytheon and Harley are going to stop making them? What a shame.:confused:

By the way, just because YOU haven't heard anything doesn't mean nobody has. There's a cheaper iMac rumored to be out very soon.

12. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

No way they will discontinue the iMac. What makes you say that. Its not their bread and butter. but Macs in general earns more and more, even if the iPhone earn apple a ton more. Also, its part of the ecosystem, without the mac, no development and no apps, it would kill the iPhone too eventually.

I suspect an early iMac update this year. The update will be incremental, only new CPU and GPU, I dont see any point for apple to wait 6 months after they are released. You can clearly see on the Buyers gui that the 200-250 days update are the small updates and what drags out the days are when apple makes a complete redesign, which is typical, then apple always gets into delays because they are doing their best to make a new awesome product.

So, I expect a new iMac this summer 2-3 months from now. imo.

13. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Update due Q4 2014 for the current iMac.

14. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

We heard no rumors of updating iMacs before they were silently updated with Haswell processors either.

15. Roller macrumors 68020

I don't think that an inordinate interval has gone by since the last major update. I wouldn't expect anything big until the end of the year, but maybe there'll be a Haswell refresh soon. I doubt if the iMac is going anywhere, though. Too valuable for product placement. :)

16. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

Doom and Gloom much? It's only been around 7 months since the last update. They'll get their turn soon enough.

17. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

OMG I remember similar stuff people were saying before redesigned 2012 model came. At that time iMac wasn't updated for about 15 months.

They'll get their turn soon. OP sounds like someone who doesn't know Apple product cycles well. Expect new iMacs in autumn.

Also.. I don't think there'll be anything new and great about them. Thunderbolt 2 will be the biggest addon.. and you get some better GPU options but only in higher models. Broadwell CPUs won't go up much in performance. I can see that Iris GPU will be more capable but raw processing power, naah... it all plateaued with Sandy Bridge generation and nowadays it's only more cores (and you need the software to be programmed so it can take advantage of them).

Unless they manage to put retina displays in iMacs at reasonable price*, don't expect anything new and great. If you need one, buy current generation.

* I am still not sold on retina displays for upcoming generation. Seems like the tech is still quite expensive, it would be especially for 27-in models (21.5 seem possible). But I might be wrong (for example Apple getting custom Intel chips).
    Wow, Imagine 24-incher coming back with something like 3840 x 2160!

18. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Paranoid much? They'll probably getting refresh August-November. Buy one now or wait. Those are your only two options.

I bought my fully spec'd 27" iMac in November and couldn't be happier. I keep each iMac for about 3 years and then sell it.

Best damn machine I've ever owned.

19. Imaginator macrumors regular

What an idiotic thread.

It had an update recently with the best available components for its class. There's nowhere for it to go right now. What do you want, a hovering screen or just a basic "NEW" banner on the online store?

20. hologram macrumors 6502

Someone to pay attention to him/her.

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

This is the best BS I've ever heard in a long time.

The Haswell iMacs were only released around September last year. Were you expecting Apple to push a new update every 6 months? That's absolutely nuts.

The regular update cycle is between 1-1.5 years per iMac.