iMac Disk Reliability

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jsgra1, Nov 4, 2011.

1. jsgra1 macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if others are suffering similar disk reliability issues with their '11 iMacs? Surely I can't be this unlucky?

I ordered an new '11 iMac and since then it has been disaster. I'm now on my third machine, the others being RMAed due to noise and disk issues and now some three months later my third machine has failed. The secondary WDC is now reporting various disk errors, goes missing in disk utility, errors saying disk saying it has been ejected impropoerly (I would mind improperly ejecting the whole machine out the window!). Tried the usual First Aid, PRAM resets, reformats etc - nothing; and also no luck with the AppleCare support line. For good measue it also won't boot into Windows - seem to be a problem with the primary SSD?

What is frustrating is I now have to spend another day flogging down to the (not so) local store to get them to fix it. I reckon I've been without a machine / trying to fix it for longer than I've had it in use properly.

To heap on misery, the usual excellent Apple support has gone missing. Three hours on the phone from support to US after-sales to a supervisor to customer service manager in Eire. The last leg was 35min on hold only to be told the won't do anything other than repair it if I take it to the store.

Never, ever again.

2. Macintosh2010 macrumors newbie

You need to calm down

there are a number of issues with your complaints....i would offer to you that you are probably having issues in your life right now and are simply obsessing over your iMac....for instance the "disk eject" error message is common to Lion and computers that are improperly put to sleep etc..your rant against your computer and Apple is chaotic and emotional...I would hate to be the Apple Support person who takes your call....cheers

3. jsgra1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing wrong with my life thanks; and the call with Apple was very friendly actually. Thing is, four similar issues does point to reliability issues.

4. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

Or a heavy handed user? Not to be mean ;)

5. sandimacd macrumors regular

sandimacd

personal jabs uncalled for

Not sure why the terse responses. I have found that Apple Products are not perfect. This forum is reflective of that. I am searching for answers to my problems but I do empathize with you and hope that someone responds that can point to a resolution and not just a personal blame on you.

6. EricT43 macrumors regular

Mac drives are not any different than PC drives, and are just as prone to failure. To N0ddie's point, that is probably why you got transferred to a supervisor, etc, on your support call. I'm sure Apple is thinking about the statistical probabilities of one individual having hard drives fail on one machine after another, and coming to the logical conclusion that it is highly improbable. I'm not accusing you, but I'm sure they have a process in place to try to determine if a user is causing repeat failures.