imac disk utility problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bearvsshark, May 13, 2012.

1. bearvsshark macrumors member

I have just erased my imac startup disk using the lion osx dvd and disk utility. I chose to do a zero pass format and after about 3 hours, it is done. When I click on the partition that was created though, it says there is 851.7mb of used space on the partition. I am confused since I formatted it, shouldn't there be no used space? Or is that 850mb being used for something that I can't prevent?

Here's a screenshot of my drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. theturn macrumors newbie

yes system files and file system catalogs do take up more space on a larger drive that's why it becomes more noticeable, before OS X changed it's way of calculating bytes that number would seem even larger.

3. bearvsshark thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. One more thing, if I click on my partition in disk utility, the erase free space... button becomes available. What does it do and should I do that before installing lion? Thanks again.

4. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

All erase free space does is create a gigantic file the same size as your free space and then deletes it. If you've zeroed out that's more than enough.

5. bearvsshark thread starter macrumors member

Its not going to do any harm that I did it too though right?

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

It doesn't do any harm assuming you wanted to permanently erase everything on it :)