iMac display question. Not sure if this is dead pixels or not.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aesop22, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Aesop22 macrumors newbie

On my iMac in the top left corner I have what looks like gray smoke. This is computer is only a year in a half old. I don't know if this is dead pixels or not. Is there an easy fix to this? I did see online for a free app called Pixel Fix, is it worth downloading?

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

grey smoke? it might be a moisture spot from humidity or temperature change in the room the iMac is in.

I'd recommend taking it to an apple store or apple authorized provider to remove the glass panel to see if it can be cleaned off.

3. Aesop22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have taken off the front pannel and I tried to clean off the display. I think you're right it might be moitsure

4. carrako macrumors regular

Just noticed I have something very similar to what you are referring to on my 2 day old mid 2011 27" iMac. Just got it the other day and noticed a very small set of gray/blurred pixels near my dock. At first i thought it was just part of the "Launchpad" dock icon, but once it hid the dock and set a white wallpaper, I knew it wasn't. Its not crisp but rather shiny/blurred, like its under the glass.

So you guys thinking this is moisture and might go away? Going to give it a few more days and then take it up the the apple store if it doesn't go away. They would just remove the glass and clean it or replace the glass and not the entire machine correct?

Attached Files:

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I had a very obvious grayish patch on the right side of my ACD. It would not be there and then it would show up after about 30 minutes of use, get bigger and then get smaller again. It was clearly moisture, but I didn't feel like taking the screen back. After about 6 weeks it fixed itself. Don't ask me how.

6. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

I had this exact same problem with my 2010 i7. It was a large blob of dust stuck between the backlight and display layers of the LCD. Mouse over it and move your head around looking at the dust and notice the parallax effect. I took it to the Apple Store and had the display replaced - entirely covered by AppleCare. My iMac has been trouble-free since.

7. carrako macrumors regular

Dust... that makes since. Yeh the parallax effect is correct. Its not bothering me since its located down by my dock, but paying 3K for a new iMac, I'm definitely going to get it fixed while i can. Thanks for your help!