iMac DisplayPort Disambiguation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JesseW6889, May 8, 2011.

1. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

So, as far as I can tell...

BOTH brand new iMacs (21.5" & 27") support Target Display Mode, but only with other, new Thunderbolt equipped Macs.

The last generation iMacs (27") supported Target Display Mode from any DisplayPort equipped Macs. The 21.5" did not support any Target Display Mode.

Is the above information correct? So far thats what I've come to understand, please correct me if I'm missing something!

2. Bardofar macrumors newbie

This is sad news, i was hoping to use my Eizo monitor as a second screen for the new imac, and the imac as a second for the pc.

What are the chances that someone will make a cable/adapter Thunderbolt thing that will allow the use of a dvi connection to a second monitor :confused:

3. Hexley macrumors 6502a

Given enough complaints Apple will probably enable the method again.

4. DrChack macrumors newbie

I do not think it can be enabled with a software update. However there is at least one manufacturer (Kanex) who is already working on a hdmi->thunderbolt converter, since XBox + iMac was a very popular combo the old 27" iMac. However HDMI only supports 1080p max so it's not really a solution to use the iMac as an external display for anything other then XBox and PS3.

So I guess it's worth checking up on these manufacturers in the future to see if any DisplayPort/DVI to Thunderbolt video converters are going to be released:

Kanex C Series (They already announced a HDMI solution at least)
    http://www.kanexlive.com/products/CSeries.html

Atlona Converters
    http://www.atlona.com/Converters-and-Scalers/

5. DrChack macrumors newbie

good news from Altona

I asked Altona support if they plan to release new adapters that will allow to use target display mode on the new 2011 iMacs. Today I got this answer: