Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rozwell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
I ordered a refurbished iMac 2 days ago (got it this morning) turned it on and it appears to have a bad video card. Called tech support and they tell me the same thing and to take it in to a local store.

After digging on Apple's site I see a DOA statement saying they need to check it out before replacing it (in person or via mail). I then contacted executive customer service since I wasn't given the option to do an RMA the first two times and they told me it may be several days. potentially a week before its mailed back, checked and then either repaired or a new refurb is sent out and since stores don't stock refurbs it NEEDS to be sent in in order to be replaced.

Has this happened to anyone? Should I get another refurb and be treated like a 2nd rate Apple owner for the life of the machine? The situation seems a little ridiculous or maybe I am just frustrated, but a dead machine sent to me, now becoming my headache seems a little crappy.

Its time like these I wish Apple had the same policy as Amazon (send defective item back within 30 days, new item sent immediately).

jroller

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Charleston, SC
Sorry to hear that... I have always been a big fan of the refurbs. I have bought them and recommended them with regularity. Your situation is ridiculous, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another refurb.

I've purchased over 30 macs in the last eight years, many refurbs. The only real lemon I ever bought was my daughter's (new, not refurbed) iMac that she got one Christmas. I should have pushed for a replacement for her, but never did. Lesson learned.

rozwell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
So I came home tonight and being so desperate I tried it again. I kid you not, it started up, allowed me to transfer my files from an old machine and I am not writing this post on it. Its by far the most bizarre experience especially since I called local Apple Certified repair places and executive customer service. Lets hope it holds out!

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
May still want to have it checked out, something may be loose from shipping.
If I were you I would ask to have the apple store take a look at it for you.

Best of luck!

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I ordered a refurb 24", got a DOA and had a replacement the day after I sent my old one with FedEx. So it shouldn't take long at all if you have to exchange it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.