iMac does not boot - Spinning on Grey Screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stevekat, Aug 6, 2013.

1. stevekat macrumors newbie

My iMac early Core 2 Duo A1174 suddenly does not boot. I get the start up bong, and the apple on the grey screen, but the spinning wheel just goes forever. Nothing seems to be active - shift for safe mode, PRAM reset, C for booting from DVD, verbose mode, nothing is recognized. Resetting by the power button and with any of these key commands does nothing. Have pulled and a replaced ram. Any suggestions?

2. Kelsmom18 macrumors newbie

Kelsmom18

Check your peripherals - mine did that when I added a new USB hub -I needed to download drivers. Try unplugging all your peripherals (including ext. drives) and then start your iMac - add your peripherals back one by one to see what device might be the problem.

3. macthefork macrumors 6502

See if you can boot in Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift key when booting. If you can, then go to Disk Utility and verify the Hard Drive. if not, then try booting from your Original OS DVD that came with the computer.

Also, you could use your Original Disks to Run Apple Hardware Test.

If everything has been running fine up to now and you haven't made any recent changes, it could be signs of a disk failing. For an Early 2006 iMac, this could be about the time.

Do you have a bootable backup?