iMac does not recognize USB devices

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Irmarie, May 12, 2009.

1. Irmarie macrumors newbie

Hi! I have the most recent version of iMac 24" with a partition in the HDD to use Windows with parallels. I'm sure that the hard disk is almost full (about 3/4) but today, all the devices (mouse, printer, mac keyboard, external hard disk) are not recognized in the computer.

I was trying to startup the computer in SAFE MODE but once again, the keyboard is not recognized. I can't do nothing! Inclusive, I am available to apply a FACTORY RESTORE but when the disk 1 is inserted into the computer, I need to hit or double click the icon to run.

What I can do? Please, help me on this as soon as you can!

Thanks,

*Irmarie

2. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

Restart your computer and after you hear the first DONG hold the following keys ALL AT THE SAME TIME..

Command - Alt/Option - R - P Hold them until you hear 2 more Dongs (3 in total)

This will reset some settings in your computer and hopefully it will take care of it.. I know you say that the computer doesn't recognize anything on the usb but hopefully it does in the beginning..

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Turn the computer off, unplug everything, all the cables and devices and then unplug the machine for a minute.

Plug the power and the keyboard/mouse back in and see if it recognized when it is turned back on.

4. Irmarie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks BulletToogh Tony for your recommendation but the computer is not working.

5. Irmarie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Sun Baked, but the mouse and keyboard (and all the USB devices) is not responding.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

After unplugging all the cords, and then pulling the power cord out of back of the machine for a minute?

What I said was basically called reset SMC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543

After you reset the SMC, don't plug everything back in. If you are plugging in a bus powered device into the keyboard, I can see the OS shutting down the keyboard.

But look inside the USB ports on the machine, all the USB cable ends, and all the device ports for bent/shorted pins.

7. Irmarie thread starter macrumors newbie

One friend told me that I can use another Mac computer such as Macbook, and obtain access to my iMac desktop wireless. This is right?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

umm not really. you will have to connect the two via firewire - hold down T...

oh wait, you dont have keyboard input :rolleyes:

take it to apple, now!

9. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello Guys,

Irmarie is a friend of mine... I told her to come here for help!!!!

wow... not working yet Irmarie?

10. Irmarie thread starter macrumors newbie

No friend! Not working yet. I'm going to coordinate an appointment with a Mac Technician to provide me assistance over the phone. I'll let you know!