iMac does not start up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by abarrazau, Oct 26, 2014.

1. abarrazau macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am new to the forums and am not too tech savvy. Any who, my iMac starts but stays at the apple logo and spinning wheel (pic attached). Is there any quick fix to this? Also I do not know if all my files (specifically my pictures) have been backed up. I do not have an external hard drive for the iMac. It's been this way for a while, only reason I'm concerned now is because there are pictures of my grandmother which I would like to retrieve (she passed a week ago). Any help would be appreciated! iMac is from 2008/09 and still had a lot of free space. We only used it at home for internet and picture storage. I am not too sure what the last OS update in it was but it was earlier this year. Thanks in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

With the iMac off, press the power button. Immediately after hearing the startup noise, press and hole the Command and V keys until the screen turns black with white text. What lines does it get stuck on or repeat endlessly?

3. abarrazau thread starter macrumors newbie

There isn't a specific line being repeated endlessly, however I do see a line three times in different sections which reads: warning: kext com.parralles.kext.connectUSB has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel* and com.apple.kpi.* components: use only one style.
    Also, there is a CD stuck in the drive apparently: DSMOS has arrived
    **device in slot** Slot--1*

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try turning it on while pressing and holding the shift key.

5. abarrazau thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I shut it down first using the back button in it's current state? (Black screen with white letters)

6. abarrazau thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, The shift key didn't do anything, I tried both shift keys as well. The loading spinning wheel just keeps going and going lol

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you able to start it up from an external drive?