iMac doesn't auto sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheZA, Jan 29, 2009.

1. TheZA macrumors regular

I can't remember the last time my iMac running 10.5.6 went to sleep by itself. The screen goes off, but it never goes into full sleep by itself. Airport is turned off, I put my cable modem in standby, never sleeps. I read somewhere in another forum that this was a bug with 10.5.6. Is that your experience?

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Did you check Energy Saver in system preferences?

3. TheZA thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I checked it. I've changed it so that it should go to sleep within an hour. The screen goes off, but it never goes to sleep. I'll try disconnecting everything, and then maybe deleting the plist. It isn't that big a deal, as I typically put it to sleep manually at the end of the day, but it is sort of annoying. It used to do it fine.

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I had this problem on my MacBook. I've narrowed it down to Mail or iChat. If I quit those apps everything works fine.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Could it be Time Machine causing it to not to sleep?

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

7. OnTrack Studios macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

My imac G4 does the same thing. I have an HP printer hooked up but I think it did it before as well.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I have had teh auto sleep problem ever since upgrading to 10.5.5 (still not on 10.5.6). It worked fine on 10.5.3 though. If I put it to sleep manually it works fine, but it just won't go to sleep by itself (but it does kick in the screensaver and later puts the display to sleep as per my settings).

9. TheZA thread starter macrumors regular

That is exactly what is going on. It may have been happening since 10.5.5 and I didn't notice. I generally put it to sleep manually at night.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is a fairly common problem, apparently. Some find that resetting the SMC helps, other do not. I've spent months trying to figure out why one of our iMacs is a chronic insomniac, without success. The problem is evidently not related to software, or it if is, it's related to something so obscure that nobody can find it.

FWIW, our insomniac iMac is a first generation C2D running 10.4. The hard drive spins down every few minutes then almost immediately spins back up. This happens even if the drive is set to never sleep. I presume this is why the Mac never sleeps on its own.