iMac Doesn't Boot - Change of hard drive failure

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gnagy, Aug 8, 2013.

1. gnagy, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

gnagy macrumors regular

My 27" iMac crashed with a blue screen of death. Blue and black vertical lines.

Now it no longer boots. The fans spin up, I can hear the hard drive and the DVD drive for a bit, but nothing happens.

There is no Apple chime or any type of error codes.

I have a USB keyboard and none of the keyboard start options do anything. I can't even eject the DVD from the DVD drive by holding eject or F12 while booting.

What are the chances the hard drive died? Would I hear the Apple chime and see anything on the display if the hard drive was at fault?

I don't care much if the motherboard or graphics card died. But a dead hard disk would be bad news. That's why I'm asking what the chances are that it's something other than the hard disk.

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

If it was the Hard Drive, you would hear the chime and it would get to the grey screen where it couldn't find a valid Operating System (flashing ?)

It sounds more like a Logic board, or GPU failure. Possibly a power supply, also. But, it apparently is getting some power if you can hear the HDD and the fans spin up.

3. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Im gonna go with a major hardware failure here.

Time to take her in to the good old apple store! Hope you bought applecare.