iMac doesn't boot from OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by j.roswen, May 1, 2009.

1. j.roswen macrumors newbie

I recently got an old blueberry iMac g3 for free from a friend. The system is currently running os 9, and I cannot seem to get rid of it.

My goal is to get it running anything other than os 9 (be it os x, or linux)

It refuses to boot from the OS 9 Cd, the OS x 10.4 Cd, or any versions of powerpc linux I have tried. What am I doing wrong?

2. MaTUC macrumors regular

Don't try Windows on that.. it will not boot! linux neither i think.

haha you edited.. nice.. why not working on OS 9 , it's a nice operating system , you could try installing OS X.. but I don't know if you do it the same way as installing from a old OS X to a newer one

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

That model of iMac was issued with OS 8.5. Make sure the Firmware is updated to accommodate later OS, especially if booting from a later version OS CD. Best source of info regarding that is http://www.mactracker.ca/. Note recommended maximum OS level.

4. j.roswen thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the edit, took my brain a second to realize windows+ppc wouldn't work out well.

How would I go about updating the firmware?

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Via Mactracker (it's free!), once you've located the model of iMac you're working with. There's a hyperlink for a firmware update.

You could go directly to Apple's website where firmware updates should be available.