Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FuzzMop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I have an iMac(7,1 - pretty sure it's the latest version). I was trying to install Windows with bootcamp, but when I put the XP disk in... it showed my Macs hard drive and no bootcamp hard drive. Panicking, I restarted my computer and my Mac boots into nothing. Just the white screen. DX I need help.

No installation of XP was ever started... I stopped before selecting the partition.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I have an iMac(7,1 - pretty sure it's the latest version). I was trying to install Windows with bootcamp, but when I put the XP disk in... it showed my Macs hard drive and no bootcamp hard drive. Panicking, I restarted my computer and my Mac boots into nothing. Just the white screen. DX I need help.

No installation of XP was ever started... I stopped before selecting the partition.

try booting while holding down the option key.

FuzzMop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
try booting while holding down the option key.

This does not work.
Resetting PRAM does not work.
Nothing works.

I had to go into AppleCare and the computer was rendered to the point of no use. DO NOT attempt to install Windows XP Service Pack 1 on your computer. It will BREAK your computer as in you will have no access to either partitions. The screen will turn white and you will have to take it into AppleCare to get a knew computer. If you want to install Windows XP (Service Pack 1) you should make sure you have the latest firmware.

Again, your computer will NOT work again and you will have to go get a new one! Apple tried to do a boot-reset (not PRAM) on my computer and it did not work either. Please don't install Windows XP... You'll end up like me ):

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
If you want to install Windows XP (Service Pack 1) you should make sure you have the latest firmware.

Actually, Apple's website has consistently said that SP2 is required for Boot Camp, so if you don't want any problems at all, I'd skip SP1 all together.

FuzzMop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Actually, Apple's website has consistently said that SP2 is required for Boot Camp, so if you don't want any problems at all, I'd skip SP1 all together.

The XP disk did not clearly state wether it was Service Pack 1 or 2. If you insert the XP SP1 disk, there is no warning... So you're stuck if you can't tell between the two.

Yes, skip SP1 if you can tell between the two, otherwise it is a smart idea to not install it altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.