Imac doesn't find external hard drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thewall, Jun 16, 2011.

1. thewall macrumors member

thewall

I have an external hard drive loaded with photos from a windows pc,my mac found the drive and loaded the photos but was very slow,now it doesn't even show on the desktop,when i used it the last time i stopped it halfway through loading a folder.

Everything loads fine on a pc.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. thewall thread starter macrumors member

thewall

No it doesn't show in the disk utility,looked at the support page for smc and this seems a bit extreme for my problem is this the next step,everything else is working fine.
    Thanks

4. simsaladimbamba

An SMC Reset is not really extreme and it helped me recognise fruity external HDDs. If that is too much to do for you, then I am out of ideas, except maybe you could tell us what exact external HDD model you have and what file system it uses and via what interface you connect the iMac and the HDD.

5. thewall thread starter macrumors member

thewall

Sorry to be vague i think it's a Hitachi hdd made by an independent computer shop and i use a usb to plug it in,there is power going to the hdd,can i check the usb port somehow to see whats happening.

thanks again

6. thewall thread starter macrumors member

thewall

sorted now it didn't like the usb extension lead i was using,didn't think nothing of it when i posted i leave it in for ease of use.

thanks for your reply