Imac Doesn't recognize New RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bsal, Jun 28, 2007.

1. bsal macrumors newbie

my computer:
    Imac G5 17 inch wide screen, built-in Isight, ppc, 1.9 GHz, comes with 512 mb memory, os x 10.4.10

I decided to upgrade my memory being that I'm a digital artist and work with a lot of software, so several weeks ago I bought a 2 Gig RAM from a company called Edge Tech -through one of its online distributors Computer Memory Outlet. The RAM meets all the specs for compatibility: PC24200 nonecc unbuffered, 240 pin DDR2. I installed the module, but it did not show up on my Mac. I checked to make sure it was installed properly and even reset to pram, but had no luck. Edge Tech told me that the RAM was defective and set up a return for replacement. I got the new, replaced RAM a few days ago and my mac is still not recognizing it. Has anyone else ran into a similar problem? Would you say it's the vendor or my computer. If it's my computer, what could it be? Also, could it be that my model has problems with 3rd party RAM? Sorry about the bombardment of questions, but I've been dealing with this for over a month and I need this resolved ASAP. Thanks so much for any help

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

Are you absolutely sure that you've installed the RAM correctly? Furthermore, what happens if you pull out the stock Apple RAM and put the new stuff in that slot?

3. bsal thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm absolutely sure I've installed the RAM correctly. I didn't try to switch slots yet though.

4. banjomamo macrumors regular

If that doesnt work, you can run an Apple Hardware test off of the Mac OSX install disc but it will take a long time to test the RAM. It could just be defective and needs to be replaced. Theres also another Free RAM testing app called Member (I think).

I know that on the Mac Pros and Power Macs RAM has to be installed in pairs. Not sure if its the same on an iMac though.

I always buy my RAM from OWC - they have never given me trouble and its not too pricey. If this doesnt work Id try another vendor too.

5. Vorbis macrumors newbie

I dont know how different my intel imac is to your one, but I had to seriously push on my new ram to get it to seat properly in the slot...I thought it was in fine when I first did it, but no. Also on the intel imacs you have to have the ram cover screwed on for things to work properly (according to the manual anyway).

6. bsal thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the hardware test and the memory passed. Even though the new memory is in the second slot, the hardware test shows it as empty. Vorbis, You mentioned that you had to push your new ram in pretty hard. I've reinstalled it a three times and I'm pretty sure I've pushed it's in as far as it can go. It feels like it can't go in any farther. Oher than that, is there a way to determine that the ram is properly seated?....I followed the installation instructions carefully.

Being that this is the replaced ram, I think I might have to throw in the towel and return it for a refund. I really don't want to buy ram from apple directly because its so highly priced though.

If anyone can offer any bit of assistance or advice, I really appreciate it.

7. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Someone feel free to correct me, but doesn't the PPC based iMac only accept Max 1 GB per slot, meaning a max. of 2 GB all together (both slots)? That being said, The iMac should atleast be able to see 1 GB of your 2 GB stick. Might not be the ram. Could be something more expensive. :(

8. bsal thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, My Imac Isight allows up to 2.5 gigs ram. I checked the manual. I really hope it's nothing more than the ram module. If it were my computer, wouldn't the memory fail the hardware test?

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Oi Oi! Time is called, gentlemen!

The iMac G5 iSight models (1.9 GHz and 2.1 GHz) have only one memory socket. The Apple 512 Mb RAM is non-removeable. The single memory socket can take a 2 Gb DDR2-533 DIMM for 2.5 Gb total RAM.
    Thank you for your enthusiasm but PLEASE refrain from guesswork.

To the OP: There are but 2 reasons:
    1) You haven't pushed the RAM all the way into the socket, or
    2) The RAM is defective

If you are confident that the RAM is fully seated into the socket (It takes a fair bit of pressure) then send it back for replacement.

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I wanted to add: Trust the Ram-Geek (CanadaRam) because he knows his Ram specs/issues with memory (Ram) :cool:
    hehe Ram-o-lot

11. bsal thread starter macrumors newbie

how risky is it to put a lot of pressure into pushing the module in?

Is it EASY to damage my computer if I press it in too hard?

I'm willing to give it another try but it really seemed to be in as far as it can go.

I'm thinking it's defective.

12. IBobby macrumors regular

IBobby

1. if it is not recognized after initial install
    2. if you have installed and installed hard and harder everytime

Guess would be return the memory and get your money back or just exchange it.