iMac doesn't show eternal Hd via usb

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theslaz, Nov 22, 2013.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Running a Imac Mavericks. I have attached a Mediasonic Probox 4 bay Hd enclosure with four Sata Hd inserted. Everything has been working just fine for the past 18 months when I set this up. About a month ago; one of the Hd’s quit showing up on my desktop and in Finder. However; if I should fail to eject that Hd properly; an error message will pop up stating that I failed to eject that Hd properly. Pretty hard to eject it when it doesn’t show any where!

I did some experimenting. I turned of the enclosure for a few hours and than turned it back on; and the said Hd showed up. However; I had the same problem later. I also removed the other three Hds and just ran the one in question. It showed. However; when I inserted the other three; I had the same problem.

I tried connecting the enclosure to my MacBook Pro and nothing showed at all. However; that is a different problem for a different post.

Any ideas? I suspect maybe a heat problem; and I will experiment with that. The Hd in question is the smaller of the four at 320 gig. I have already backed it up.

2. rickce macrumors newbie

Hello,

Does the disk show up in Disk Utility?

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Rest the SMC at least 2-3 times back to back and if that does not work please switch out the USB cable you are using.

5. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Rebooting the computer worked. Thanks