Imac down glad i took out apple care

Discussion in 'iMac' started by liquorice, Aug 14, 2013.

1. liquorice, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013

liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

So this morning had a spinning wheel and couldn't do anything except a force shutdown.
    On restart I get 5 green lines down the screen
    [​IMG]

Which then goes to the white screen where it stays.
    I can use cmd R but doesn't seem to be a problem with the SSD, but haven't been able to get into safe mode.
    So a trip to apple store tomorrow, not confident that a reinstall of lion will fix the problem.
    Is a mid 2011 top spec imac that have had for 17 months, so glad I took out apple care.

2. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

Well left it a little while, and just did a restart and was able to login, but then it went to a black screen, pity as my backups are not upto date.

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

If it was bought in the EU then it's covered for 2 years anyway - if you bought it in the UK then you're covered for up to 6 years with the sales of goods act.

4. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

You missed out the bit about telephone support ;)
    Well will find out tomorrow if it was worth the money :cool:

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Telephone support worth all that? Just ask here it's cheaper and less likely to follow a script

6. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

Well what ever way you look at it I'm the idiot, for not doing proper backups. Was waiting to purchase a bigger ext hard drive to do a proper backup, and as that purchase was delayed I let it slip.
    Will find out tomorrow hoe it goes ......

7. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I'm pretty confident your data is safe honestly. It seems to me like a video card issue.

8. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

Yes expect data is safe as have the SSD and hard drive, so even if they reinstall lion it shouldn't effect the hard drive.

9. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Is it a "Fusion" Drive or a separate SSD/HDD? If they wipe say, the SSD to install Lion everything on the SSD will be erased. Any applications/documents/settings on the SSD would be gone.

10. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

its a separtate SSD, but soulds like everything will be fine as it was the video card which they will replace and possibly the LCD screen.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

So hope to get it back next week, all things going well.

11. TwoBytes, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

how did you get 6 years? I thought it was 1 year warranty. Whenever people take their iPhone into the store the staff say it has to be within a year for example. You would NEVER get away with a 6 year warranty. I have never heard of anyone being successful with this directive (it's not a law)

12. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Actually in the UK the sales of goods act is the law.

Even Apple quote it on their website: http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

13. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

Well it looks like it wasn't just my machine with the graphic card problem, still glad I took out applecare though :D

14. gregd33 macrumors member

I had this issue on June 25... they replaced the video card.

Had it AGAIN on July 25... this time they replace logic board, lcd panel and video card (GPU) for the second time.

5 days later - it came up AGAIN!!! This time, and after a lot of trips to/from the apple store with iMac in the box (fun walk through a mall), they gave me a new iMac.

The trouble was immensely annoying but Apple Care, the Apple store folks and everyone were very courteous and helpful... I still think it was a power supply/inverter issue that led to so many fried GPUs... but maybe not given this recall announced last week.

TL;DR: had the same issue... now have a new iMac... Be glad you bought AppleCare. It is definitely more than just the typical extended warranty. AppleCare and Apple stand behind their products VERY well.

15. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

If you purchased with VISA, MasterCard in the USA or Canada you could be covered for an additional year at no cost, and if you used your AMEX card in Canada you get an additional 2 years free of charge.

:) just in case

16. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Apple recently announced a replacement plan for the video card on some 2011 iMac's.

Good that it will be fixed and sounds like your data is safe, but keep a current backup just in case.

17. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

18. TimSandhu macrumors newbie

This is good to know. I hope they do honour it. I took out AppleCare and my machine has failed with a WSOD in its second year. I sent it off for repair after several calls to their tech support and it came back, worked for 15 minutes and then same issue. Now they want me to send it in again. I'm actually taking it in to the store myself because the repair company they used weren't very reliable and didn't even bother to call me back after I logged it as faulty the first time.

19. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970

So that's why I am happy to live in Europe (even though we pay much more to start with). These kind of things are covered here for 36 months..... Only in some cases the EU is good for something.

Anyway, hope they replace it fast and swiftly. I would certainly miss my iMac...\

Best wishes,

Michel

20. gregd33 macrumors member

Similar to me... I would definitely call AppleCare and tell them to either schedule an on-site appt or replace it. IMO, if they cannot resolve the issue after repclaing something twice, they aren't replacing the right thing.

In my case, I always thought the issue was power supply/inverter as it was the only piece of hardware they never replaced on mine.

21. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

Not feeling so happy now !
    Imac worked on the genius desk, but within 30mins of computer being on at home I am back to the same no boot :mad:

22. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

Well back for now, hopefully for good, been on phone to apple tech, and in system recovery, disk utility, repair permissions seems to have fixed it.