iMac drops wireless LAN and won't reconnect automatically

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MartyCan, Sep 11, 2016.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I have a new 21.5 iMac running 10.11.16 El Capitan. The computer keeps losing our wireless network connection and does not automatically rejoin it. This is pretty frustrating for a number of reasons.

1) We previously had a 27" 2010 iMac that was doing the same thing and we finally decided to replace it with this new one. So $2g's later and I have the same problem albeit on a much faster computer.

2) This computer serves as my music hub and also as our AirPrint terminal for our iPads and iPhones. So when the connection goes down we lose the printing and music until I go and manually reconnect to our network.

3) The message that is on screen when it drops is that it can't find our wireless network. It presents a list of other possible networks to join which is quite lengthy (must pick up every home in our neighborhood) but our own network IS always on the list of networks. I click our network and it joins.

No other computer in our house has this problem and I am at a loss as to why it only happens with this computer. By the way, this computer is located less than 15' from our wireless hub so I don't think it is a connection issue.

The computer indicates that it is connected on 802.11ac and transfers speeds around 700Mbps.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"No other computer in our house has this problem and I am at a loss as to why it only happens with this computer. By the way, this computer is located less than 15' from our wireless hub so I don't think it is a connection issue."

I know this advice may not be what you're looking for, but if the distance is less than 15', why not connect via ethernet instead?

Even if only for diagnostic purposes?

3. chown33 macrumors 604

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663

Monitor a WiFi Connection.

Performance : Signal Graphs, RSSI

Scan : What channel is your wifi using? What channel are others using?

Is your wifi on the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band?

4. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

It would have to cross the hallway from the kitchen to my office so running a wire is not a permanent option. That aside it's a wireless issue and 4 other Macs in the house all reconnect on their own just fine if there is an interuption.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2016 ---
    Channel 36 5 Ghz
    RSSI -64dBm
    Noise -95 dBm

Not sure what channels all the other devices are on right now and at the moment don't have time to check them all.

Made one change in the settings to see if it helps. I unchecked "Ask to join unknown networks." Wonder if when it drops the WiFi it's instead trying to find another connection instead.