Imac dual display (tv)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by superman193, May 16, 2008.

1. superman193 macrumors regular

Hello, thanks in advance - I just went and got a mini dvi to video adapter and got a S video for my tv because it doesn't have a vga or dvi output so anyway now the best resolution i can get is 1280 x 720 interlaced and it looks horrible on this Panasonic 1080 p 32 inch tv, and the future shop guy garenteed that it would do 1920 x whatever so i call him up and hes like "i don't know" so im pretty pissed so can anyone help me get it to the resolution i want? i've tried switch res X please someone?:mad::confused::(

i have decided that tommorw i shall go back and give them heck that the guy said it would work and demand that they give me a mini dvi - dvi and a dvi - hdmi cable in exchange for the mini dvi - S video and the s video cable, so that should work out great :D (hopefully (yn)) anyway, thanks for the help NOT :p :) ill post a reply to tell yeah all how it worked

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Does your TV have an HDMI input you can use? I got a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, then a DVI-HDMI cable. I don't use it to extend the desktop, but I mirror it a lot and it works great. You should be able to go to the Displays preference and mess with the resolution to make it look better.

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

S-video or RCA (composite) cables are not capable of providing HD resolutions. The salesperson was half informed. Yes, you can get a much better resolution, just not with the S-video. Take the S-video back, and get a DVI to HDMI cable instead. Connect the DVI end of the cord to your mini-DVI to DVI adapter, and connect the HDMI cable to your TV.

In order to get computer sound through the TV, you'll need additional cables (DVI to HDMI doesn't do sound), but if you have the iMac and TV close in proximity, you can just use your internal speakers, or an external set attached to the iMac.

The resolution via the DVI to HDMI will be 1920x1200, which is different than HDTV's 1920x1080, so there will be minor letterboxing at the top and bottom of your TV screen. Check out Amazon for a good deal on the DVI to HDMI cable. I got this cable, and it works great. Be sure to check the shipping costs on Amazon marketplace sellers, as they often offer the cables for super cheap, and make up for it on shipping costs. Good luck to you. :)

5. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info guys, in about 2 hours ill go considering its only 8 16 am here, is there any issues using 2 adapters? (mini dvi - dvi then dvi - hdmi)? will it work out nicely? because with S video it was interlaced and i could hardly read text with out holding control and zooming in?

Thanks in Advance

-Super

6. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

Well guess what? IT WORKED!! the dvi - hdmi has great color and its just amazing, although i cant tell the difference between 1920 x 1080? but yeah haha i guess its fine:p Thanks for the help, can any one suggest any good 2 screen pictures? for my desktop?

7. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine