iMac dual monitors not working

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jordan.1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jordan.1 macrumors newbie

I brought an iMac 21.5 yesterday and the apple mini dvi to VGA converter so i could use my old samsung monitor as a dual screen with the mac.

I connected it all together and it isn't working. I've had the display settings up and tried 'detect displays' but still nothing comes up on the samsung screen.

It's a samsung 2032mw.

anyone know what i can do? thanks.

Heres some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

First, That is a mini-display port to VGA adapter (which is the correct one for your iMac) not mini-dvi.

Second, have you setup the Samsung monitor to auto scan the input ports or set it manually to analog?

Cheers,

3. jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

opps yeh mini display, my mistake!

I haven't setup anything on the samsung monitor. Not sure what to do on it?

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

There's usually a touch spot on the lower right bezel of many Samsung monitors. It lets you modify the settings and may even have a simple input spot to cycle through the inputs.

Cheers,

5. jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean like the source button? in that case yes, i am changing the source but still nothing is happening.

----------

I am putting the VGA cable in where it sais PC IN. Could this mean it's not the right port for dual monitoring?

should i get a mini display to DVI adapter and a DVI cable instead of the VGA cable?

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yes, Source. Does the screen shown analog when you press source? Do you see the searching for source on screen when you switch?

Is this a 2011 iMac? I'm not sure it matters but the latest I've tried is the 2010 iMac.

Cheers,

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just a side note, why don't you use DVI instead? Better quality.

8. jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The source it comes up with is just PC.

-

Hellhammer, i just had a VGA cable at the time. But i could buy a DVI cable i suppose? could you link me to the cable i would need please?

9. chadsticles macrumors newbie

Even better why not use a HDMI calbe? much better quality than any of the VGA/DVI cables.

I am sorry I don't know many shops around your area but you will be looking at something looking like this:

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Chad.

10. aggri1 macrumors 6502

Slightly off-topic, but might be of interest: on a monitor from a different brand, when I used VGA I couldn't set the resolution correctly. The Mac didn't allow me to choose the monitor's proper native resolution. When I used DVI, it worked without me setting anything, just detected and functioning.

Cheers,
    A.

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have not had any luck using MDP to DVI with my TB-equipped iMac (27") and MBP (13"). MDP to HDMI works great, however.

I know the MDP to DVI cable is good, because it works with my 2009 iMac (27").

12. pawtracks macrumors regular

Is the adapter a genuine apple product, purchased from a reliable source?
    I had one that I got from a vendor on amazon who claimed it was genuine with very authentic counterfeit packaging. Turned out it was a fake and when I bought one directly at apple store it worked as soon as it was plugged in.

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Will using the HDMI port display more than 1080p resolution? What if the external monitor is 1920 x 1200?

14. jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys.

I ended up taking it back to the shop and changing it for the HDMI adapter and it now works.

Only problem is, i'm not to sure what res to have the samsung screen on. when it's in 1080p, 1080i, 720p the text looks very small and weird. Then other res settings i choose are not to good either. oh well!

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your monitor has resolution of 1680x1050 so you should use that.

16. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I'm not sure. My DELL ST2220L is 1920x1080 so using HDMI on my new iMac or DVI on my old iMac the resolution was the same.

17. jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Off topic i know but may as well post it in my thread instead of making a new one.

I brought a 4GB ram stick the other day so i now have 8GB ram in my iMac. But theirs one slot with no ram in. ( 2gb - 2gb
    ( 4gb -
    Is it okay the other slot is empty? I do plan on buying another 4GB stick of ram in a few months time but if i should really have another 4GB stick next to the one i have in now then I'll get it sooner.