imac dual not quad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dave012, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Dave012 macrumors newbie

After building my own PC's for 10 years I bought my first mac today. I read on the apple website that all iMacs are now quad core. I went into town and bought the basic 21.5" 2.5Ghz i5 iMac, but it's not a quad, it's a dual core processor.

After my free update to Lion completed I sat down to look at what's there, I opened the Activity Monitor and got a surprise to see just 4 processes being monitored, I say a surprise as the windows system monitor shows 8 if the quad core has multiple threads, or 4 if it's a dual core multi thread such as a dual core i5.

But ok, I'm new to mac, maybe it's always spoke this way and always different.

So I then ran Cinebench and right enough, it says in plain english 2 cores totalling 4 threads. It's a bit much for apple to be saying all iMacs now have quad core processors when they blatantly don't.

Then I got thinking, if this is normal apple terminology, then does that mean the dual core i5 macbook pro's are actually pentium 4 processors (single core multi-threading). Then I thought if none of the iMac's are advertised as 8 core does that mean they are all dual core right throughout the range?

This is not a good start, can anyone clarify if any of these new iMacs actually do have quad core processors? And if the different models advertised, such as macbook pros's, dual core i5's are actually dual cores with 4 threads then that has to be illegal, saying one computer has a dual core and another a quad when they're the same.

Dave

2. simsaladimbamba

You have a quad core iMac with one thread per core, maybe those applications you used to benchmark are not fully compatible to Lion yet or are just ****ed.
    Here is your CPU as Intel has it listed: http://ark.intel.com/products/52208

3. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I don't think any of the Desktop Core i5 Sandy Bridge Processors have Hyperthreading.

4. Dave012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much, that's reassuring. I thought I was getting 4 cores with 2 threads each, but that's my fault for assuming before buying. I'd rather have the 4 cores than 4 threads across 2 cores. It sounds like Cinebench has it mixed up.

Is there anywhere you can point me to that gives details of what core/thread combinations are in what computers across the mac range?

Dave.

5. simsaladimbamba

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html + http://ark.intel.com/

6. filfortugno macrumors regular

The BTO 21.5 inch can be upped to the i7 and the BTO 27 inch can be upped to i7, if you want hyperthreading, just upgrade to the i7 in either size

7. Dave012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, thank you all. I'm quite impressed with what this is doing for the moment.

For budget reasons I got the basic 4GB RAM with intention of upgrading later, I'll keep the same thought on the i7 upgrade.

David.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

I am very impressed with the base model iMacs. I had a 2.2 GHZ Quad 15" MBP and that thing was seriously fast, but sold it to buy a base quad core iMac and save the rest of the money.

I just put in 8GB of RAM and it is almost as fast as my MBP was. Handles games well too.

9. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi Dave,
    "I'll keep the same thought on the i7 upgrade"
    I hope you know you CAN'T 'upgrade' your iMac that way...

10. Dave012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Stan, I got the impression filfortugno is saying it can be upgraded. Do you mean I can't do it at home like I can with RAM or I can't get it done at all?

David.

11. leman macrumors 604

It can be done... theoretically... It would involve you disassembling your machine completely, changing the CPU, quite probably destroying the iMac in the process and surely losing your warranty.

So no, I would not recommend you to "upgrade" the iMac, unless you absolutely know what you are doing. The only user-upgradeable part of the iMac is the RAM.

12. Dave012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks leman, I'm pretty competent with plug and play pc builds but I wouldn't go inside this. If it's not something that apple would do for me I'll leave it as it is.

David.

13. SawceBaws macrumors member

You don't need to sign off with your name every time, we can see your user when you post...

14. Dave012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Force of habit, muscle memory I suppose as I've always done it. I've been having a look around and had some excellent/fast advice/info on this thread and intend on sticking around,so I'll try to break the habit.

15. Dave012 thread starter macrumors newbie

16. rikbrown macrumors regular

Just ignore the overly pedantic/childish posters. Most of us are happy to help (and be helped!) :)

17. HBOC macrumors 68020

yeah this saucepaws guy is like AppleScriff or whatnot. Never helpful. "cool story bro" was funny when it was original in 1999, btw.

18. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502