iMac + dual thunderbolt displays question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Beaverman3001, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

I have a late 2012 iMac that is maxed out (680mx). I am thinking about purchasing two thunderbolt displays to go with it, but I am wondering if it is possible to span apps across each display. For instance an equivalent of eyefinity, where a game will expand all of the displays. I don't know if there are actualy OSX limitations on this or if it just depends on what the particular game allows. Does anyone have experience with this? It would mostly be for playing WoW.

2. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I don't believe that there is a way to span displays now in Mavericks. Anytime you try and span an application from one display to the other now, it grays out the application in the display that you're moving away from while you're moving and disappears the window on the display you are moving to if you drop the application window while it is still spanning both displays. As much as the multi-monitor support stunk pre-Mavericks, you could span an application window across at least two displays (I never had three displays to try on more than two).

3. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I've been reading it appears you are correct about being able to expand an application across multiple displays, bummer!