Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
My Dad asked me to 'look at a computer' he brought over and left it in the spare bedroom. I didn't look at it until after he'd gone and it's an Indigo iMac DV 400. He asked me to 'do what I could with it' and normally it would have been a 'use it as a door stop' or something, but I decided to have a look at it.

I found a spare 40GB hard drive and went on eBay and found a 256MB PC100 for £2.99 with free shipping to bring the memory total to 512MB, and an Airport wireless card for under a tenner.

I've installed the hard drive but it currently doesn't have an OS on it. The previous hard disk had a fresh install of 10.1. I'd have a copy of Panther laying around that I'd like to install, but I can't get it to boot from any of the CDs. I've been reading the requirements for installing the Firmware and it states requiring Mac OS 9. A friend then gave me a copy of 9.0.4, which also won't boot from. I tried to make an image of the CD and making it a CD Master, then burning that. It also didn't boot.

I then started to read about how to make a bootable OS 9 CD in OS X and found out that its either not possible or extremely difficult or unreliable. So brain wave, using the installer CD from my friend, I created a Sheepshaver virtual machine, and installed OS 9 on there. I found a copy of Toast 5 Lite floating around on the interwebs and went through the process of making a boot CD there. As I couldn't figure out how to make it Sheepshaver see my MBP's superdrive, I opted for making a toast image and selected the 'bootable' tick box. I then copied this out of the Sheepshaver image to my MBP and tried burning it. Again it didn't boot.

Could someone PLEASE suggest something I could try?!

Thanks

pac

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
Pull the HD and either stick it in a caddy or inside an older Mac, install the OS of your choice, put the HD back in the iMac and try booting again, or try an Ubuntu PPC live CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.