iMac DVD player questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UKingdom, May 9, 2007.

1. UKingdom macrumors member

using osx 10.4 built in DVD player; it's alright but I'm used to PowerDVD on my PC.

1) Can you fast forward faster than 4x? my old player let me smoothly skim in 20x.
    2) It is possible to see a status bar to see how far it's progressed along the file? And to be able to jump/click on a point anywhere in the future and jump straight to that point? (kind of like youtube videos). most dvd players have that basic interface but the apple one is way too simplified.

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The Mac DVD Player is pretty basic, but some of the more advanced stuff you're looking for is there, just buried a bit.
    I'm not aware of a progress slider (that would be handy).
    You can make a bookmark in the Controls menu (or by pressing apple+=) that you can jump to (either using the Go menu or the Navigator -from the Window menu, or the Bookmarks window).
    In the Controls menu you can also alter the Scan Rate (up to 32x)

3. theheyes macrumors regular

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

5. Ozman712 macrumors member

I have to admit that Apple's DVD player app really sucks. They dropped the ball on that one. It is hard to navigate, probably because apple like to streamline their apps, but this means it is a pain to fast forward and such.

I use VLC to play all of my media and I love it (who doesn't), but I find it is not a very good DVD player either. I like Frontrow but, you cant use it while doing other stuff. I have tried to look for a quality free DVD player app, but have come up empty handed. If anyone knows of one, I would like to know what it is.

Oz

6. UKingdom thread starter macrumors member

anyone else who can suggest a nice DVD player for mac other than the built in player?