iMac DVD player will randomly not recognize DVDs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jackbauer686, May 15, 2012.

1. jackbauer686 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been having problems with my iMac recently, more precisely with my DVD drive.

I think it's a software problem, and not a mechanical problem. Let me explain:

When I insert a DVD:
    - it will sometimes work perfectly. I can read, burn or whatever I feel like…
    - it will sometimes not work. I don't know why, but the drive gives a few try (mechanical noises), and than ejects the DVD. If I try a few more times to reinsert it, it will just keep the DVD and not eject it, without recognizing it. When I try to open the Disk Utility program, it will simply froze, or it will open after 5 minutes, but the DVD player will not exist and not appear.

I need to restart the computer. Sometimes it will work after the restart. Sometimes not. It's really random, and I haven't found out on what it depends… Sometimes, when I reboot the beast because of a trapped-unrecognized DVD, the DVD player won't open. "Initialization error [-70012]"…

I've tried Option-Cmd-P-R at the Start, but it didn't help… I feel like there's something wrong with the software and the connexion with the DVD drive.

It's a 2 years old iMac, up to date, using Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.8).

I've tried looking on the net, but a lot of people are experiencing mechanical problems (it simply never works), which I think is not the case here (it does randomly work perfectly).

Any help would be amazingly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Try inserting discs at the Startup Manager. Since there is no software being run here if any discs are automatically ejected it must be a hardware fault. Otherwise try running in safe boot to stop all unnecessary software from running.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I can't help you, but I have the same problem with my 2009 MBP's DVD drive. It simply refuses to read some discs, which work on other computers and DVD players. It will sit there for 5 minutes making horrible grinding noises indicating to me in no uncertain terms that it is not happy.

4. jackbauer686 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that you say that about the Start Up Manager, I've thought about something.

Could it be a problem related to the fact that I'm using BootCamp (900gb Apple, 100Gb Windows)?

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Nope, it's completely unrelated. It's the drive itself that is a problem. Most likely a dirty or slightly misaligned laser pick up.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I had a problem on my DVD player that it wouldn't recognise disks for formatting prior to recording. Cleaned the lens and works perfectly now.

7. jackbauer686 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I tried to insert the DVD at the Startup manager. No dice. That would mean that it's not a software problem. I just don't understand why it sometimes works flawless.

Anyway, a lot of you told me to clean the lens. Before I do it, I'd like to ask you a few questions:

- If the lens has a problem, why do I get those "Initialization error [-70012]" and why does the DVD drive doesn't appear in the disc utility?
    - If it's not the lens, what could be the problem? If I am to open my iMac, I'd like to do it just once ;)

Thanks a lot!

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You don't need to open your iMac to clean the DVD drive. Just buy one of those cheap DVD's with little brushes attached. That's what I used.

9. jackbauer686 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll buy one of those now.

I just can't help but think that the lens is clean, and that there's a bigger problem.

For example, at the moment, I can't open the disk utility, it simply freezes. And it's been 30 minutes that it's frozen. Isn't it related?

10. skuid87 macrumors regular

Are these safe to use? I thought that you werent supposed to use these for slot-loading drives.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Well they do in our IT department. If you have a defective drive I would give it a try before taking it to a repair centre or taking it apart yourself.

12. jackbauer686 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I tried those cheap DVD's with little brushes (even though it says you shouldn't use it with SLOT-IN disk drive, and... No dice... :(

What would be the next step?

Thanks!