iMac (early 2006 Intel Core Duo) won't load Snow Leopard OS 10.6.3 installation disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heta, May 8, 2014.

1. heta macrumors newbie

Hi,

my iMac has Leopard OS 10.5.8 installed, when I try to upgrade the OS to Snow Leopard OS 10.6.3 and put the installation disc in it's super noisy but sounds like it's trying to read the disc and after a while the iMac just ejects the disc. Restart doesn't help, or unplugging the power source. Apple Support couldn't help when I called them. It should be possible to install Snow Leopard on the iMac, but not the later OS like Lion etc.

iMac specs are: 17" early 2006 model, 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB memory, OS 10.5.8

I tried other DVDs, a movie DVD loaded without problems and started playing but a game installation disc (Sims 3) had the same problems as the Snow Leopard disc.

I just got the iMac back from repairs where a new hard drive was installed. The iMac used to have Tiger on it, and the repairs company installed Leopard on it.

The DVD drive isn't super important for me, I only need it for this Snow Leopard installation.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me!

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

3. heta thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the Snow Leopard installation disc online from Apple, the disc is white background with a snow leopard on it. Thank you for reminding me though, I forgot to write that in the earlier post!

4. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

It appears that you have the iMac4,1 which should load Snow Leopard.

Have you tried to see if the disc will work on another computer?

Attached Files: