iMac early 2009 screen aberrations

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Riko8675309, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Riko8675309 macrumors newbie

A couple days ago while playing a Mac game via Steam, my screen froze. I was able to quit the game but the screen had numerous thick vertical vertical lines on it. I restarted the computer and it again froze but this time was covered in small pixels. Next restart I reset the PRAM & that seemed to resolve the problem. The next day I was playing again & the same thing happened again, froze, vertical lines then pixels. I tried to reset PRAM again but to no avail. Next I reset SMC & this resolved the problem but only temporarily. It later occurred again & neither PRAM or SMC reset would work. This morning, 8-9 hours from last freeze the computer started fine & I was able to write emails, check FB and read the news.
    I started processing some photos using Photoshop & LightRoom and it wasn't long before the screen froze again and the same screen weirdness appeared. Neither PRAM nor SMC worked today.

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It appears that your graphics card is starting to fail. You may want to backup your data and files before it fails too much to be easily recoverable.