imac education discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by creepy crab, Aug 4, 2011.

1. creepy crab macrumors member

Hi all, sorry to bring yet another discussion about education discounts... kind of inevitable at this time of year though...

So i rang my local Apple store (Manchester Trafford Centre) to check i can get the discount instore, and was told that i could. However it turns out that regardless of which imac i buy, i only get a 6% discount, whereas if i were to buy a macbook Pro, i would be entitled to 15% off!

I realise this may be a UK specific thing, but could anyone
    A) tell me how long ago the imac discount plummeted, and
    B) Think of a reason to punish desktop users?

Thanks alot :)

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Are you at university or college? The uni discount is still 15% (ish, it varies between products, normally the iMac is about 13% I think).

Many Apple employees have no idea about education discounts and tell you rubbish.

If you buy online you get a free 3 year warranty, but not in store. See link in my sig.

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

iMacs are 12% (actually they range from 11.95 to 12.02%), probably best to order over the phone if your local store won't give you more than 6%

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

Firstly, what type of education discount are you talking about - the standard one or the HE Store? If you're eligible for the latter, deal with the HE Store direct. Although physical stores may offer a discount that's greater than the normal education store, it's discretionary and this might explain the difference between the discounts. Also, 6% sounds roughly like the standard education discount on at least some of the iMac range - the HE store would offer more.

I don't think that the discounts have changed substantially - discounts vary across product lines and I wouldn't say desktop users are being 'punished'. For example, I got something like a 17% discount when I bought a Mac Pro through my HE Store, and today, I believe I would get bigger discounts on any Mac Pro model, compared to those on the MacBook Pros - and considerably more than those on the iMacs.

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Order online so that you can get all the benefits you deserve!

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Not through the standard education discount - e.g. the entry-level iMac is £939.60, as opposed to the normal price of £999; this is a 6% discount, so it sounds like the OP was just offered the normal education price, not the HE one.

Even if they had given a bigger discount, iStudentUK made a very point about the warranty and why it's best to deal direct with the HE Store.

Quite so - although it's also okay to order via the dedicated phoneline for the HE Store.

7. creepy crab thread starter macrumors member

I hold an unconditional offer for King's College London, but don't start till september, so i can't access the education store through my university yet.

Thanks iStudent, i have read your post in detail, but was concerned that the discount may have changed this year, as it seems strange my local store would offer me such a larger discount on the macbook pro...

It is reassuring to hear that i can still get a substantial discount, so if needed i will order online, there's just something about buying my imac and having it straight away (i will be in a position to buy on saturday). She did also say on the phone she'd give me the applecare discount.

Thanks

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well that's tricky then. In store it's up to Apple what discount they give you, although I would phone another store (or talk to someone else) as it sounds like a mistake. Apple staff are pretty rubbish about understanding the education discounts. There's no logic to the 6% on iMacs but 15% on MBPs.

However, online/phone Apple MUST offer you the 12% off. They do NOT have a choice due to the contracts they signed (which are due to expire 30th September this year, but may be renewed). If you phone Apple to order you may get a better response and get the free warranty as you have an unconditional offer, but I'm not sure.