iMac ejecting DVD's is the drive failing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by liquorice, Dec 30, 2013.

1. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

Still have applecare, but could really do without lugging my 27" imac in for the 3rd time for another repair and being without it for another week.
    It is reading CD's fine but just spins DVD's a couple of times then ejects them.

If it is the SuperDrive that needs replacing, would be able to fix in the same day, so I could do a bit of shopping in the sales then pick it up :D

2. Bear macrumors G3

I presume you tried more than one DVD? And yes it's possible for a drive to fail that way.

As for how long it would take, it depends on if they have the drive in stock and how backed up they are. It could be same day, but you never know.

3. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

Thanks will enquire if they can do it on day when I contact them later, it's not important as only went to use the dvd today as having dodgy internet.
    If I give them enough time, hopefully they can arrange to have parts to do it on the day.

4. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

Well been on Chat with apple support, tried repair disk permissions so may as well try a cleaning disc, but looks like it may be another trip to an apple :(

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Those were the symptoms I had just before it failed. I would take it in, mine was well out of warranty.

6. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

i plan too but am really hoping I can take it in and collect a few hours later so will be ringing some of the apple service providers to see who can do it quickest.
    I still have a year of applecare, would really be nice if this was the last serious problem :rolleyes:

7. Prise macrumors regular

Identical symptoms I had before a drive failed on one of my Macbook Pros. Another reason I'm glad they've removed the optical drive from the new iMacs.

8. Elbert C, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

Elbert C macrumors 6502

Make sure the replacement SD is working properly before bringing the iMac home. The SD replacement for my MBP reads CDs/DVDs fine but it doesn't write to any type of media.