IMac- erase info to sell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aubie09, Apr 26, 2012.

1. aubie09 macrumors newbie

I have reviewed the forum and havent found much to answer my question:

I am selling y 2008 IMac8.1 and I want to erase all my personal info. I considered going to disk utility but I want to keep all the software that is installed (Microsoft office and Adobe CS4). If I still had the discs for these programs and the install code I would just do a full erase and reinstall, but I no longer have the discs or the codes are used up. I read that I could create a new user, make it the adminstrator and then delete my other user... however I also read that this doesnt completely delete my personal info and that it is on the Harddrive "hidden." What is my best course of action? Is there something I can personally do or would a certified Mac repair guy be the way to go, even if it costs me a little money upfront?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why are you trying to keep Office and CS4 intact if you're selling it? Without the original CD or keys they're not yours to sell.

Anyone buying a used computer would be nuts not to reformat & reinstall the OS anyway.

3. simsaladimbamba

Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

Since you don't have the discs and codes for the applications you want to leave on there, you can't sell the software, as it would be piracy doing so.
    If one wants to pirate the software, there are better ways to do it.

Just do a ZERO-OUT of the HDD to not leave any traces of your usage and be done with it and leave it to the seller to get his/her own copy of that software however s/he finds fitting. No need for you to enable it.

4. aubie09 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasnt aware it would be a piracy problem, since It is paid for and is installed on the computer. hmmm... so if i leave the software on there I am violating piracy laws.

I wanted to sell it with the software because that makes the computer worth more.

I hear what you all are says, I will take the legality into consideration. However if I did want to do that, how would I co about it?

5. simsaladimbamba

Just because you paid for the software and have installed it, doesn't mean, you can sell it without the media it came on and the codes.
    The EULA of both software suites/titles prohibits such doing.

And what if the new owner wants to reinstall Mac OS X or eve does need to do that (OS or HDD failure)? S/he can't reinstall the software s/he paid for, since there is no media to install from and no numbers to enter.

6. aubie09 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm that is a good point, thanks for pointing that out.

----------

okay so the only other problem I have is that the DVD drive doesnt always work properly and often doesnt read CDs or return them... how would I erase the HD if I cant put the install discs in...

7. simsaladimbamba

Do you have an external optical disk drive (ODD)? Or if the ODD works from time to time, you could clone the Install DVD onto an external HDD or USB flash memory thumb drive, properly formatted*, and use that other medium as install medium.